Windows 7 or Windows 8?

ferameri

Beta member
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum.

Today there was an auction at school and I got myself a pretty nice DELL desktop computer. Coming home I saw that when i tried to boot I got the message 'bootmgr is missing, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to reboot'
I didn't know I would get it without an OS. I know that at school these PC's used to have Windows 7 on them. So I'm looking for a new OS right now to buy but I'm kind of struggling between Windows 7 and Windows 8, so maybe you guys could help me out. But first of all, how do I install either of these operating systems on my PC?

I do have an ACER laptop running Windows 8 right now, but I did notice that it has gotten slower pretty fast. (Could be because of the way I treat my laptop though)

Which operating system do you guys recommend me?

I will probably mostly use it for

- music production software in my studio.

- doing my school projects

- not really a hardcore gamer

- like simplicity/accessibility

- do like the design on the Windows 8 home screen (If it runs smoothly ofcourse)

Which do you prefer? I would probably say Windows 7 but that's my preference - it may not be yours.

You are going to have to purchase an OEM license regardless, so purchase what you like the most. Either way you will have the option to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

Does this computer have a COA (certificate of authenticity) sticker on it? that should show you which license (7 or 8) the computer has for it, then you can get what version according to the COA to use it without having to purchase a new license

It's kind of a moot point of which OS to go with if you plan to take advantage of the free upgrade to Win 10.

Does this computer have a COA (certificate of authenticity) sticker on it? that should show you which license (7 or 8) the computer has for it, then you can get what version according to the COA to use it without having to purchase a new license

+1 to this, and then like mentioned you can take advantage of the free Win10 upgrade in the coming months.

I like windows 7 more, easy and straightforward. windows 8 seems like a windows 7 with app store pre install on it. it's really not good for pc but recommended for tablet. it consume to much ram when I run an app on metro. when I close it, the app is still running in my task manager. In the end, I restored win 7 system (backed up with easeus backup free).

Windows 8 seems like the best option for you.

Two things I noticed about your question. You seemed to like a simple/accessible design, which tells me that Windows 8 is more of your style. Also, you are already familiar with Windows 8.

Windows 7 is an OS with more of the features you would normally see in a typical Windows operating system. But if you want to use the most up-to-date technology; Windows 8 is the answer.

Based on this, Windows 8 seems to be your best choice. You could also get the 8.1 upgrade, if you weren't totally satisfied with the base OS.

No matter what you do, Windows 10 is already around the corner.

Back
Top Bottom