Windows 7 ASUS Laptop is just plain slow

dwarfdude77

In Runtime
Hey guys I was wondering how I could speed up my Windows 7 ASUS laptop. I have only had it for a year and a half- not even -and its already getting unbelievably slow. Any suggestions?

What model is it?

Have you scanned for viruses/malware to make sure that's not causing slowdown?

Tried removing bloatware that's pre-installed on the system?

Have you scanned for viruses/malware to make sure that's not causing slowdown? Tried removing bloatware that's pre-installed on the system?
Almost every laptop that a person has only had for <2 years that's being "slow", is usually being afflicted by what carnage suggested.

Carnage,
The model is K55N, here is a link to the ASUS model support and specs page
Notebooks & Ultrabooks - K55N

I have AVG, I use that all the time. I also use the pre-installed Microsoft Security Essentials, that helps a bit but I find that AVG finds 100% more problems than MSE.

As for bloatware (is this AKA crapware?), uninstalling it is one of the first things that I did with my laptop when I got it in 2012.

I am a minecraft modder, I download a lot of .jar and sometimes .rar files; I have heard that these can be harmful? However; I learned a while ago NOT to click on the big friendly-looking DOWNLOAD NOW! ad buttons that I used to think were what I wanted to download.

Thanks in advance,
Cam

Carnage,
The model is K55N, here is a link to the ASUS model support and specs page
Notebooks & Ultrabooks - K55N

I have AVG, I use that all the time. I also use the pre-installed Microsoft Security Essentials, that helps a bit but I find that AVG finds 100% more problems than MSE.

As for bloatware (is this AKA crapware?), uninstalling it is one of the first things that I did with my laptop when I got it in 2012.

I am a minecraft modder, I download a lot of .jar and sometimes .rar files; I have heard that these can be harmful? However; I learned a while ago NOT to click on the big friendly-looking DOWNLOAD NOW! ad buttons that I used to think were what I wanted to download.

Thanks in advance,
Cam

Sounds like you've been running things fine so far. Although, I'd switch out AVG for maybe Avast, Avira, or Bitdefender Free (all perform much better than AVG and are free as well).

I'd supplement your AV scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware free edition. Run a full scan with it, and see if it turns anything up. I'd also run TDSSKiller from Kaspersky (a rootkit scanner).

Back
Top Bottom