Windows 7 and product key question

mwwwilson

In Runtime
I just started a job this past week and my boss is attempting to restore a system on an HP computer. It gives a configuration error... which after troubleshooting, is because they swapped out the motherboard. So he can not use the restore disk. The computer does not boot up because he also put in a new hard drive.

Now, being that he only has a restore disk (that won't help now)... can I just download an .iso of Windows 7 Home Premium and burn to DVD to make it bootable?

The major question is this... will the OS accept his product key that he has posted on the side of the PC?

Yes this is a very old computer, back when they put the product key for the OS on a hologram Microsoft sticker on the case. If this would work, he could then reinstall his software bundle and drivers (which are on a separate disk).

As soon as I get an answer I am going to call him. If it is possible, he has to download the .iso and buy some DVD-R discs. I figure I can probably get that .iso image from Technet. Correct?

Thanks in advance for anybody's quick reply.
Mark W

As long as you get an OEM Windows 7 disc (cannot be retail), it will be fine.

In fact, to make things easier... here you go:
Legal Download from DigitalRiver: Windows 7 SP1, 13 languages

Download the 64bit version of Home Premium, and burn the ISO to disc.

Then you'll need to get the drivers from either HP's website or each individual component manufacturers' websites (for the latest driver versions that is).

Back
Top Bottom