Windows 7 activation issues/random restarting

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
I bought my friend's old computer for $150. Athlon 64, 2GB ram, pretty basic. He had Win 7 32 bit installed. I was going to use it as an HTPC to play stuff on my TV such as Netflix. I was going to throw my old 7600GT into it to up the graphics a little from an old ATI card. Sadly it uses AGP and my card was PCI-e. So I swapped my server mobo into this system. P4, PCI-e slot. I get Windows 7 installed using the same key. It doesn't want to activate. I'm really not sure if it was an OEM or retail version. I have used OEM versions of XP on different systems with success. Does Windows 7 not like changing systems if it's an OEM version? Will the "automated phone" thing help me any?

My other problem with it is that it will randomly restart on me. No idea why. It would restart sometimes right after POST, other times during boot. Today it didn't want to boot without restarting. I did a repair and that got it to completely boot and it still will restart randomly. I thought it might be a heat issue since it is using a P4 Prescott and they get HOT, so I downloaded speed fan and put a load on the processor. Idle was 50C, and top temp was 57C. I let it sit there for awhile. No restart. So I turn off the load. After it get back down to idle temp it restarts on me... I have no idea if the restart and temp are related at all. Doesn't seem to be. If I don't have a "genuine" copy of Windows 7, does it restart on you? I'll have to do some more testing tomorrow, but this is frustrating me.

With OEM versions of Windows, once they are activated, you cannot move it to another machine, or replace the CPU or motherboard. You will need to purchase a new copy =/

you can move them you have to call the number and they will give you the new key ive done it with motherboards before but i dont think they will give you a new one for a new hard drive and yes you canreplace the cpu its plug and play you dont gotta redo your windows for it

I'm not really even sure if it is an OEM copy or not... So calling them will get me a new working key?

Call them and say that your old motherboard was fried so you had to get a replacement. They have to give you a new key if you say that

I think I might actually try getting a student discount on another copy of Windows 7 and use this key with the motherboard it should work with so I'll be upgraded to Windows 7 on all 4 of my systems. Dunno why it took me so long to think of this... If the key still doesn't work with the original mobo then I'll just give them a call.

I'm still not sure what is causing the restarting. I tried letting it run to see if it would restart just sitting there. It never did.

Back
Top Bottom