Windows 2000 system crashed GeForce MX 4000 AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekdad

Beta member
My son's Windows 2000 system crashed.

Mboard: Aopen AX63; BIOS: r1.13, Processor: PIII 500mHz 512mb; 137gb HD (actually Seagate 160); Win2000 Pro sp4.

Bios runs and lists HD and CD, but I can't run Win2000 nor SafeMode (it allowed me to try safemode once but quit and restarted, now I canÂ’t).
Seagate HD CD is all that will boot in CDROM, not win2000 (ntfs) CD, (have been able to see C: 137gb and "quick test" HD and "update" MBR, but Diskwizard's DDO (disk drive overlay) no longer loads at startup) and I donÂ’t want to reformat HD if I can help it.
Bootdisk.comÂ’s Win98 (fat32) floppy is all that will boot in floppy drive, not Win2000 disk 1.

THINGS WE DID RECENTLY:
1. Installed 2005 model Graphics Card: BFG GeForce MX 4000 AGP 128mb. Downloaded and installed Nvidia driver.
2. Installed Dawn of War game. Ran couple of times, and restarted okay.
3. Per GeForce cdÂ’s readme made suggested setup: cmos-bios-chipset changes. ie. disable shadows, disable vga,,blah,blah, init=AGP, aperture=128mb, etc.
4. Per GeForce cdÂ’s readme downloaded mob AX63 bios r1.31 (.bin and .exe) for bios flashing and system driver 4in1.exe update, but have not installed.
5. Downloaded and installed ZipGenius to uncompress the AX63 stuff. Note: errored unzipping AX6313.zip, froze, had to restart and do again.
6. Installed GameDrive from BFG cd (Virtual disk program storage) but did not use yet.
7. My son had AIM (trident) running and left computer on overnite. Next morning was froze up and windows would never start correctly???
8. Also, I had forgotten to turn Norton’s Antivirus back on… (had disabled “5 hrs”) Virus?

Now IÂ’ve tried:
1. via win98 floppy have attempted to copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM to C: from another floppy.
2. With Seagate cd have been able to see C: 137gb and "quick test" HD and "update" MBR. But still canÂ’t get Windows running.

What now? IÂ’m not well experienced in DOS. Can I check for virus if cd not booting? Most often used by my son are AIM, msIE and Itunes.

Thanks,
geekdad

ok, lets rule some things out. graphics card shouldnt have done it, same with ggame, bios sounds good, zipgenius sounds a lil fishy, gamedrive sounds good, aim...sounds a lil weird, but shouldnt be a problem, antivirus shouldnt be it unless he downloaded something that coulda had a virus. if i am corect, you have a norton antivirus disk, if possible, insert taht and run the virus, and if avail, sys restore. if those dont work, is their ne chance u can back up his files and reinstall windows? but it sounds like a virus a lil to me(had a bad encounter with one a few weeks ago, lucky that i did a backup)

Revised #7

Thanks.
Revise:
7. My son had left computer on overnite. Next morning he shut down Limewr and launched AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) and while it was "verifying" his screen went black. He restarted but Win2000 progress bar never completed before computer would auto restart and repeat.
Now I can't boot HD C: at all..? Win98 floppy is all that will boot in floppy, in dos I can see dir of win2000 CD but can't mount..? And the only CD I can boot (with my limited knowledge) is Seagate's..?
Is there a way to force boot Norton's and/or Win2000 CD? Something I can do in DOS?

What did he download off LimeWire?

Those 851.7kb ZIP files are found all over limewire, and are viruses.

Check "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Shared" to see what he downloaded off LimeWire.

Now what?

O' Krap!
After choosing default BIOS setup and then selecting Boot order- CDROM, C, A...
(From another cpu) I downloaded and created NTFS Viewer boot floppy with hopes to view and backup files (and maybe try MEMTest32). But could never see HD C:\DIR, so I got out and restarted. NOW I can't even get into BIOS Setup via delete key and can't boot to anything.
:cry:

Thanks,
I removed CMOS battery for couple minutes.

Flashed 1.13 bios (1999) to most recent AX63 1.31 (2002). Can now boot CDs without Seagate's DDO.

Win 2000 SP3 cd won't repair - error 7..?

With Seagate cd, HD (which is jumpered as master and per Seagate's literature extra limit jumper to allow old machine to see large HD) tests passed; Seagate system test passed with inconsistencies.

Occassionally BIOS wouldn't recognize CDROM-RW or when mounting cd just freezes.
So I put in different CDROM (R only) for now (but my son needs writeable..?)

Try to reinstall win2000 but only sees 33 gb instead of 137 gb.

Reformatt HD using Seagate CD ntfs, but now DDO is installed.

Reinstall Win2000, sees 137gb; says it needs to reformatt. said ok. copies system files, and initializes, then after auto reboot, windows never loads. .? can't proceed with system driver update nor sp4 upgrade...

Help, Thanks,
geekdad

Why don't you install XP instead of 2000, That machine will run XP perfectly. And you will have alot less problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom