Windows 10: Removing Hardware and Ejecting Media

Mike the Wino

Beta member
Hi all you pros from Dover (or wherever else you're from!)--

I have an issue that cropped up since the latest major update to Windows 10 that came out last week, although I have no idea if it is connected with that update or not. I've done a search on the internets for a similar situation, but haven't hit on anything specific.

I recently noticed a new "hidden icon" in the menu for them (on the task bar) that is prompting me to "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". Right clicking on that icon shows me options to "Open Devices and Printers" and "Eject USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)". Opening the folder for "Devices and Printers" shows the standard printer devices and peripherals, as well as an "Unspecified" device (the aforementioned USB Root Hub). Does anyone have any idea why this suddenly appeared, and why I am being prompted to remove it? Will removing it have any negative consequences?

Here is a screen shot of the offending "device" (click on the thumbnail):

Thanks for any and all ideas and feedback!

Mike (the Wino)

Most likely different drivers were installed for your chipset and Windows thinks the USB ports are all removable devices without anything plugged into them (unless you do have some kind of storage plugged in?).

I don't have any kind of USB storage currently plugged into the computer. To clarify, will removing the root hub have any negative effects? It's not "hardware", so I'm guessing not, but I don't want to find out the hard way! :eek:

I would just ignore it. Nothing wrong with it, and if your USB ports still work fine it'll be alright.

If you were to eject it, it'll just come back on a reboot (and your USB ports probably won't work until then either).

You can try checking for updated chipset/USB drivers if you like to see if that'll make it go away from the Eject icon.

Back
Top Bottom