Windows 10 on old work laptop

JohnB100

Beta member
Greetings all. My employer gave me a new laptop and my manager said that I could use my old laptop for personal use if I liked. Our IT guy is a tool and I don’t trust him. If I get a new SSD and install it in place of the existing one, then install a fresh copy of windows 10 using the license linked to the motherboard, will the IT guy be notified or know?

If not, whenever the company says they want the old laptop back I would just put the original SSD back in. Will this cause any issues?

You'll need to know which version of 10 this laptop is using. If it is home or pro then I see no issues with putting a clean install on it. yup...just switch ssd's if they want it back.
If you have an enterprise version or a volume license (VLK) of 10 then you might have an issue. There are ways around that if this is the case
Find operating system info in Windows 10
  1. Select the Start button > Settings > System > About . Open About settings.
  2. Under Device specifications > System type, see if you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.
  3. Under Windows specifications, check which edition and version of Windows your device is running.

Last edited:
You'll need to know which version of 10 this laptop is using. If it is home or pro then I see no issues with putting a clean install on it. yup...just switch ssd's if they want it back.
If you have an enterprise version or a volume license (VLK) of 10 then you might have an issue. There are ways around that if this is the case
Find operating system info in Windows 10
  1. Select the Start button > Settings > System > About . Open About settings.
  2. Under Device specifications > System type, see if you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.
  3. Under Windows specifications, check which edition and version of Windows your device is running.
Thanks for the reply Joe! Under Edition it says Windows 10 Pro and it’s 64 bit. What do you think?

I’m concerned about my IT guy getting some sort of notification that I reinstalled the OS?
Once you pull the old drive out of it he cannot get jack from the laptop... and I seriously doubt he could anyway. Like Joe said, hang onto the old drive in case the boss changes his mind but there's nothing to worry about with a new SSD and fresh install of a clean copy of Windows.

Back
Top Bottom