Windows 10 and ATI 4870

milford

Solid State Member
First I installed 8.1 then the ATI drivers and Catalyst Control Panel. No problem, everything worked. Yesterday I upgraded to Windows 10.
I seem to have lost the ATI software (cannot find anything relating to ATI), and the generic Windows drivers are being used. (Have Dell 24" monitor, 1920 X 1200).

Revo Uninstaller is showing the ATI drivers and Catalyst. If I use Revo to remove the ATI software, will Windows take over totally?

My only other option is to get a Windows 10 compatible card with working drivers.

Windows 10 automatically installs the drivers of your GPU. There is no need for manual installation.

Why do you say it's not compatible? Have you checked "dxdiag"?

Windows 10 automatically installs the drivers of your GPU. There is no need for manual installation.

So you're saying ATI/AMD and Nvidia video cards don't need drivers? I can just plug in a $900 Nvidia card and use the Window generic drivers?

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Go to the ATI website and download/install the drivers from there.

ATI Radeonâ„¢ 4000 Series Drivers

For Windows 10, right????

So you're saying ATI/AMD and Nvidia video cards don't need drivers? I can just plug in a $900 Nvidia card and use the Window generic drivers?

No, I said you don't need to install them manually. Windows does it for you.

You say the drivers are installed, but Windows is not using them. How do you know this?

Why do you say it's not compatible? Have you checked "dxdiag"?

Not compatible=when there are no Windows 10 drivers for a specific hardware. I believe its called a "legacy hardware." Not supported by manufacturer. Like a Diamond Monster Video Card with a 3Dfx Voodoo chip. I don't believe there are dedicated drivers for this card anymore.

You say the drivers are installed, but Windows is not using them. How do you know this?

Can't find the Catalyst Control Panel that was installed in Windows 8.1. Device manager is showing ATI 4870 video card with generic Windows drivers.

So step 4 says "if Windows can't find a new driver, try looking for one on device manufacturers website." Isn't this what I've been trying to do. I don't want generic Windows drivers, I'm looking for dedicated drivers specific to that video card. If none exist for the 4870, then I'll look for a Windows 10 compatible card. One that a video card manufacturer will support in Windows 10.

Can't find the Catalyst Control Panel that was installed in Windows 8.1. Device manager is showing ATI 4870 video card with generic Windows drivers.

The Catalyst control panel is just that, a control panel. That doesn't mean the drivers are not being used. Try the steps on the Windows support site.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

So step 4 says "if Windows can't find a new driver, try looking for one on device manufacturers website." Isn't this what I've been trying to do. I don't want generic Windows drivers, I'm looking for dedicated drivers specific to that video card. If none exist for the 4870, then I'll look for a Windows 10 compatible card. One that a video card manufacturer will support in Windows 10.

Windows Update doesn't install generic drivers! It tries to find official drivers. If both steps fail, then you have to change OS or card.

Back
Top Bottom