Win 7 and ATI drivers not playing nicely together...

gulfcoastfella

Baseband Member
I just finished a system build, and having installed Win 7 64bit Professional, one of the first things I did was download and install the latest ATI drivers from ATI's website for my Powercolor ATI HD5970 graphics card. One of the ATI files caused a BSoD, so in safe mode I uninstalled the drivers and sweeped everthing ATI off my computer.

I thought that maybe I had downloaded a corrupt set, so this time I downloaded the drivers from Powercolor's website; BSoD again; driver swipe again.

So now I thought that the newest drivers, which were only a few days old at that point, weren't "right", so I tried installing the previous version (10.7); BSoD yet again; driver swipe again.

I contacted ATI, and after asking about my BIOS update (it's updated) and my Motherboard Driver updates (they're updated), the ATI tech guy told me it was basically my problem to fix with the manufacturer.

I would send in the card for an RMA, but I removed the fan it came with and installed an aftermarket cooling block, voiding the warranty in the process. So I really need this to be a software issue and not a hardware problem.

Any help?

Here's the new system specs:

Proc: Intel Core I7 930 2.8GHz stock speed
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 1366 rev1.0 bios"F6"
Memory: Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
Hard Drive (OS): RAID 0 - 2x Crucial CT64M225 2.5" 64GB SATA II SSD
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
Video: PowerColor AX5970 2GBD5-MD Radeon HD 5970 (Hemlock) 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP
Power Supply: BFG Tech EX-1200 1200W Continuous Rated at 40°C ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified
Case: Cooler Master COSMOS S

Here's an update: I've noticed that the same file appears on the BSoD every time: ATIKMPAG.sys. Does that mean anything to anyone?

DSCN1044.jpg

I took some time off from the problem for Labor Day weekend, so now I'm back at it. Here's a rundown of what I tried:

(1) I rebooted after removing all ATI files and graphics drivers using "Driver Cleaner .NET".

(2) On reboot, Windows automatically installed it's default VGA driver titled "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" (driver version 6.1.7600.16385 by Microsoft).

(3) I run "10-1_vista64_win7_64_dd.exe" (the display driver <only> executable for driver version 10.1; I'm trying an older driver in the hopes something will work :)

(4) Catalyst Install Manager Installation Report says Success was achieved for "ATI Catalyst Install Manager" installation and "ATI Display Driver" installation.

(5) On reboot, system POSTs, loads the BIOS, tries to load Windows, but fails part way through, going to a Blue Screen and then rebooting.

(6) On reboot, inspection of the Device Manager's Display Adapters states "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Windows still recognizes the card as an "ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series" card.

I have this same problem. And when you do get it to work, it will say your ccc isnt running properly or something like that? Does it keep restarting then and giving you the bsod? If so, hold the power button down right when you get the bsod and restart it. Thats what i have to do at least, I will never go ATI again.

cant you try installding the drivers that came with disc? i know they'll be out of date BUT at least it'll solve it OR rule out another possiible solution

Back
Top Bottom