Will VR eliminate physical travel

Obsessed With Gaming

Beta member
Will VR reduce or even eliminate the need to go on trips such as commuting, recreation (going out with friends, road trips, watching the sunset) or going on vacation?

And if that was possible, would the streets be deserted of cars and people? As in would anyone still want to leave their home?

"Seeing" is not the same as being there IMO. It doesn't matter how immersive the visuals it is still just visuals.

"Seeing" is not the same as being there IMO. It doesn't matter how immersive the visuals it is still just visuals.

VR is more than just the visuals, though. At Least it will be once it gets more advanced. We're a long, long way off anything challenging real travel.

When VR gets to the stage where it is imperceptibly different than real life (which it will, eventually - though probably 50 to 100 years away), then it will absolutely eliminate travel, and a lot of other things. In 200 or more years it will probably even be deemed a punishment to force someone back into the real world and take them out of VR. The virtual world will have all of nearly all of the upsides and none of the downsides.

VR is more than just the visuals, though. At Least it will be once it gets more advanced. We're a long, long way off anything challenging real travel.

When VR gets to the stage where it is imperceptibly different than real life (which it will, eventually - though probably 50 to 100 years away), then it will absolutely eliminate travel, and a lot of other things. In 200 or more years it will probably even be deemed a punishment to force someone back into the real world and take them out of VR. The virtual world will have all of nearly all of the upsides and none of the downsides.

I think you missed my point. I guess it is just something about we Americans maybe, but we are more about the "being there" experience than just the "seeing there" experience. I can see pictures, video, and VR of the Grand Canyon but I have been there myself and can tell you that no amount of recorded media can give you the complete experience. The same goes for Yosemite National Park; experiencing the giant redwoods, the vistas, the waterfalls cannot be fully captured any other way. Even the Smoky Mountains are better experienced in person no matter how breath-taking images and video may be of them.

I think you missed my point. I guess it is just something about we Americans maybe, but we are more about the "being there" experience than just the "seeing there" experience. I can see pictures, video, and VR of the Grand Canyon but I have been there myself and can tell you that no amount of recorded media can give you the complete experience. The same goes for Yosemite National Park; experiencing the giant redwoods, the vistas, the waterfalls cannot be fully captured any other way. Even the Smoky Mountains are better experienced in person no matter how breath-taking images and video may be of them.

Hmm, nope I think you missed my point :lol: I get what you mean though. So long as you know you are in VR, you miss the magic of actually being there.

That said, VR at one point in the very distant future will be imperceptible. You would not be able to tell if you were there or whether you are in VR. It would look the same, it would feel the same, it would sound the same. Every one of your senses will be completely fooled into believing it is real. The only difference would be that if you tripped and fell into the canyon, you wouldn't get hurt in VR :p I guess you would still know you are in VR, even if you couldn't actually tell. So yeah, you couldn't say "ive been there" if that's what's important to you. But the actual experience of it in VR and in reality would be identical.

This will happen, it is not a pseudo technology or fantastical dreams. It's just a matter of increasing IO speeds of current computer brain interfaces. CBI's already exist, they just don't yet have the bandwidth to drastically interfere with any neurological activity. But just like silicon chips once did, that bandwidth is doubling every couple of years. They reckon within 20 years there will be significant enough bandwidth to say, real time translate someones speech into English. No matter what language they use, it'll sound like a normal English voice to you. Eventually there will be enough bandwidth to completely alter all neurological activity at once in your brain, essentially giving you a false reality which is indistinguishable from a true one.

Sounds like too much cool aid, but it's all verifiable with a bit of research :)

Hmm, nope I think you missed my point :lol: I get what you mean though. So long as you know you are in VR, you miss the magic of actually being there.

That said, VR at one point in the very distant future will be imperceptible. You would not be able to tell if you were there or whether you are in VR. It would look the same, it would feel the same, it would sound the same. Every one of your senses will be completely fooled into believing it is real. The only difference would be that if you tripped and fell into the canyon, you wouldn't get hurt in VR :p I guess you would still know you are in VR, even if you couldn't actually tell. So yeah, you couldn't say "ive been there" if that's what's important to you. But the actual experience of it in VR and in reality would be identical.

This will happen, it is not a pseudo technology or fantastical dreams. It's just a matter of increasing IO speeds of current computer brain interfaces. CBI's already exist, they just don't yet have the bandwidth to drastically interfere with any neurological activity. But just like silicon chips once did, that bandwidth is doubling every couple of years. They reckon within 20 years there will be significant enough bandwidth to say, real time translate someones speech into English. No matter what language they use, it'll sound like a normal English voice to you. Eventually there will be enough bandwidth to completely alter all neurological activity at once in your brain, essentially giving you a false reality which is indistinguishable from a true one.

Sounds like too much cool aid, but it's all verifiable with a bit of research :)

This frightens me.

And me. I am a fan of the technology, but I am not sure what its effect on society will be once the tech progresses to an ultra advanced state.

Nice to know I'm not the only one then in that case.

But as a question most people will be thinking I'm gonna blurt it out.

When will my sex robot be ready. :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom