Will this work? Input appreciated

seaplanephotog

Beta member
I am a photographer for an aerial photography company. I would like to transmit my photos that I am shooting in the air to another member of my production team on the ground to edit them as they are captured during big events. So far I know that I can transmit the images that the images can be captured and transmitted via a wifi transmitter designed to move images from the camera to any device with a wireless network card. The idea is to transmit the images via this device to a laptop on board the aircraft, then have the laptop setup to automatically upload the images to a cloud based storage of some sort via a wireless internet connection such as an air card. My concern is if it is even possible to receive data via one wifi card and transmit via a separate card simultaneously. Any knowledge or advice you can bestow upon me would be appreciated.

It should be possible with an Eye-Fi card. I have an Eye-Fi card in my camera and can use my smartphone as a wifi hotspot that the Eye_fi card can connect to so that when I take a picture with my camera, it is transferred from the Eye-Fi card to my phone, uploaded to the Eye-Fi server, then downloaded automatically to my computer at home.

I have done this on the ground but can't say this will work from an airplane. I believe it should work as long as the smartphone can get a proper cell signal.

In your post, you talked of transferring the photos to a laptop, then upload to the cloud. How do you propose that the laptop be connected to the internet? If your laptop has a connection to the internet using something like a MiFi cellular router/modem then you could connect the Eye-Fi card directly to it and bypass the laptop. If you use a USB dongle cellular modem plugged into the laptop, then you could use software called Connectify to turn your laptop into a wifi hotspot that would allow you connect the Eye-Fi card to and do the same thing with your laptop that I do with my phone. The Connectify software can use the wifi in your laptop to receive data from the Eye-Fi and transmit it via the same wifi adapter, however, it isn't necessary to do that to accomplish what you want to do.

Last edited:
I would be using a system similar to the Eye Fi system called WFT-E7A. It works on the same principle, only more powerful and quicker for the larger files produced by the high end camera.

Now by the sound of it, you eluded towards the possibility of using a MiFi and bypassing the laptop. Is this a Eye Fi only feature or something that could be accomplished with any file transfer hardware.3

Thank you very much for your input and assistance!

Looking at the manual for the WFT-E7A, it appears that it would be able to connect to a MiFi type device, there seems to be several options for transferring the images, not sure if one of them allows uploading to the cloud based storage or not. It appears that you could have it transfer the images to a remote FTP server. You should be able to eliminate the need for the local laptop, unless you wish to configure the laptop as the FTP server.

The MiFi is essentially a cellular modem combined with a wireless router that you could configure the WFT-E7A to connect to directly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom