Will this card work with my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintanamore

Beta member
My current gfx card had died :( and im getting around to getting a new one and after research I found one that I think would work well for what I want. I like to play mmorpg's games LIKE World of Warcraft and Guildwars, and im not concerned about them being at max settings, just running at a decent framerate.

This is my pc:
HP Pavilion Elite m9040n PC (GN553AA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office Products

and this is the card:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card

Help is much appreciated.
P.S. my computer only has a 300 watt power supply but one of the comments says it works well on a 250 watt machine so im good there.

The only thing I would need to know is what is the wattage on your power supply? That card you listed from a quick search it requires a 400W power supply. This one here requires 300watts and is more powerful. The PC you listed shows no PSU specs. It is just my experience... a lot of box computers are not made with high voltage/wattage power supplies. I'd figure that out before you get a video card. It does meet the PCI-E specs though.

That 4650 will work just fine for you. I highly recommend the 4670 instead, as the difference in price is worth the difference in performance.
You shouldn't have any issues from that video card, even with the stock PSU. The reason I say this is that the PCIe slot itself powers the video card. That video card has no external power requirements, and that means it's not going to be using much power.

The only thing I would need to know is what is the wattage on your power supply? That card you listed from a quick search it requires a 400W power supply. This one here requires 300watts and is more powerful. The PC you listed shows no PSU specs. It is just my experience... a lot of box computers are not made with high voltage/wattage power supplies. I'd figure that out before you get a video card. It does meet the PCI-E specs though.

an 8500gt is defenitely not better than a 4650, you need to check that again.

The card does say how much wattage you need but another site said the 4650 took 55 watts and my last card that came with the machine to 40, so I dont think theres enough of a difference to matter. And in one of the comments a guy said it works on his 250 watt machine but I guess it depends on your computer because I do have a quad core processor which is taking a lot of power.

The card does say how much wattage you need but another site said the 4650 took 55 watts and my last card that came with the machine to 40, so I dont think theres enough of a difference to matter. And in one of the comments a guy said it works on his 250 watt machine but I guess it depends on your computer because I do have a quad core processor which is taking a lot of power.

From what I can see your Q6600 is around 105wTDP. I'd expect it to use around 125w @ load.
The maximum a PCIe slot can provide is 75w.
The rest of the components are negligible. Add another 100w to be safe I suppose.

That's 300w. MAX. And there's no way that 4650 is going to suck 75w up out of that PCIe for extended periods of time.

You'll be fine. It will work, like I said before. You won't have any problems.

From what I can see your Q6600 is around 105wTDP. I'd expect it to use around 125w @ load.
The maximum a PCIe slot can provide is 75w.
The rest of the components are negligible. Add another 100w to be safe I suppose.

That's 300w. MAX. And there's no way that 4650 is going to suck 75w up out of that PCIe for extended periods of time.

You'll be fine. It will work, like I said before. You won't have any problems.

Ok thanks man it should only take about 55 watts and if there are any problems with it ill just upgrade the psu for 20 bucks.
thanks again everybody.

What made you think this card requires 400 watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom