Will my mobo hold my ssd back?

Jrod_34

Solid State Member
I am upgrading my cpu, graphics card, power supply, and I am adding an ssd.

This is my current pc:

This computer is an IBUYPOWER- I-Series 301
Specs-
CPU- AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad Core 3.80 GHz
RAM- 8 GB
GPU- GeForce GT 610
Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
HDD- Toshiba DT01ACA200
Power Supply- Allied SL-8320BTX

Upgrades:

CPU- AMD FX-8320E Eight-Core Vishera Processor 3.2GHz Socket AM3+
GPU- AMD RX 480 (when released)
SSD- SanDisk Ultra II 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SDSSDHII-240G-G2
Power Supply- Thermaltake PS-TPD-0850MPCGUS-1 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Modular Power Supply

My current motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3. This mobo only has sata 3gb/s slots. After watching some videos it seems like the 3gb/s will hold my ssd back instead of the 6gb/s. Is this true? If so what should I upgrade my mobo to for cheap? If not then I probably will not upgrade it until my actual next pc upgrade.

Also the reason I am getting the 850w psu is because I am getting it brand new for $70 instead of $140 on newegg.

Sorry it's a new question, I didn't know I was supposed to stay on that one. How do I delete this

Well it doesn't make a whole lot of sense and I'll explain why.

I'm assuming you created this thread because you don't want to go along with the idea going with a new platform probably due to cost, but then you put this:

Is this true? If so what should I upgrade my mobo to for cheap?

This is pretty much what I was talking about in the other thread. Now you're asking if you should upgrade your board to compensate for an SSD, while buying a new processor at the same time. It doesn't make sense to not go with the i3 build at this point.

Well I understand where you are coming from and I like the idea but yes it is going to cost me more but the 8320 is also better than the i3. And I wouldn't want to have to buy more ram too. I don't know what to do because I want to keep the upgrades for the next 3-4 years

Well I understand where you are coming from and I like the idea but yes it is going to cost me more but the 8320 is also better than the i3. And I wouldn't want to have to buy more ram too. I don't know what to do because I want to keep the upgrades for the next 3-4 years
No, it isn't. You'll need to upgrade with either CPU anyways, but the i3 would last longer. You're not going to be able to use the AMD for 3-4 years in gaming unless you do some serious overclocking or buy yourself a pretty beefy GPU to make up for lack of single threaded performance. It just doesn't make any sense to be ok with upgrading your motherboard and CPU then argue the cost of an upgrade when it'd cost the same minus a 28 dollar stick of RAM. In the end you can do what you want, it's just not wise. In the long term of things the i3 would last you longer feature wise unless you spent the 100 bucks to get the new Asus 970 AM3+ board.

Here I'll try to help you out a bit here to really understand my perspective of things.

A TL;DR version of my article. Gaming is GPU bound, but requires sufficient IPC (single threaded performance) to feed the GPU properly. Although games are using more cores they typically only use up to 4 threads. AMD's current architecture splits 1 module into 2 cores that share resources. It makes it slower for apps that require a higher core cycle count but great for tasks that require many threads. The problem is, you get good performance for things like transcoding or zip compression/decompression but who does this all the time? If you're a gamer, you go for what helps accelerate games. Single threaded performance.

Let's break that down a bit more. Games that say "Minimum i5 or AMD FX equivalent" are only requiring 4 threads to a CPU because they're programmed to use 4 threads. ALthough games don't utilize HT like they do physical cores the i3 has 4 threads that are properly capable of gaming. Your FX 4300 is like an i3. 2 modules with 4 cores sharing resources. What's going to be faster, the FX 4300, or an i3? Benchmarks show, the Haswell i3 trumps an FX8320 as well. The Skylake i3 review shows not even a hefty overclock and more threads really helps an AMD FX reach Intel IPC levels. This is where the buying decision comes into play.

You want to buy an 8320 which as you found is the same price as an i3 6100. You were asking for cheap board suggestions for SATA3 for the SSD. An AMD board or Intel board will cost about the same to get what you want. On the flip side, the Intel board comes with PCI-E 3.0, native SATA 3, native USB3, and an upgrade path for an i5 or i7 if you desire later. The only additional purchase you'd need is an 8GB stick of DDR4 which is cheap. The board I linked in the other thread allows up to 32GB of RAM, whereas a cheap AMD board will only allow 16GB.

The i3 will carry you as long as you want but the 8320 may become an issue later depending on where gaming goes. The only difference being if you need more horsepower before the 3-4 year mark with the i3 you have an upgrade option, with the 8320 you don't.

Again the decision is up to you. You want to go the AMD route that's fine, but there have been plenty of testimonies from people here saying they can tell how much faster Intel is even in day to day tasks. To answer your question in the OP, the truth is the only gain you'll get from going to SATA3 is sequential transfer rates. As in, instead of 540/520 read/write speeds it'll be capped to around 280/260. SSD speed comes from IOPS, no moving pieces, 4k read/write performance, and 0 latency / access times. You won't notice the difference real world between SATA2 and SATA3.

Hope that helps.

Okay so I understand now. Getting the motherboard and the fx would be the same as getting a mobo + ram and the i3. And I know that I have no right to say you're wrong because I don't know that much about computers but I want you to watch a video and just explain to me why. http://youtu.be/nLkaNWo0EV0

Cinebench and Geekbench show exactly what I said previously, single threaded performance from the Intel rapes the FX. They are synthetic benchmarks though, and most people don't base actual performance from these. Neither do proper reviewers.

Adobe rendering shows that having more threads from the AMD clock for clock didn't help in performance which actually maxes the CPU.

Tomb Raider in the past has favored AMD setups, and Rise*** although an Nvidia Geforce title using DX12 reduced CPU overhead for favor of AMD. Titles still largely coming out for DX11 though.

GTA V although claimed as a huge CPU thread user showing almost exact same average.

Blops is gay, Intel ahead. (it's also weird with hardware BUT terrifically optimized)

Dying Light is a weird title. In my own benchmarks with a 5960x, 3960x, (each in 6/8 core and dual core) vs AMD stuff averaged about the same. More of a GPU title overall anyways and favors the more GPU power you can give it over CPU. I played this game on a 940BE which we know is old.

Cities Skylines is an RTS title that generally use lots of CPU. Still though, the average well over 60fps for a dual core with 4 threads and can easily be tackled with the i3 and better accommodated with an i5 later.

The guy does too little benching with odd titles in favor of the AMD to make his point which probably would come clearer maybe in one of his earlier videos (he talked about another FX6300 video). He then says he wants to ditch Blops because it favors lower core counts and threads which is stupid AND said in DX11 Tomb Raider was better on the Intel. That'll be the case as demonstrated by the Techspot review (way more reputable than a random Youtube guy).

He talked too much about RAM which doesn't matter. Faster RAM frequencies don't help except while benching stuff like 3dmark which even then doesn't give much of an advantage. He also stepped on his own toes IMO because he mentions latencies which haven't been a thing since DDR. He also didn't mention the fact that Intel has much higher memory bandwidth to begin with.

He then proceeds to say the exact same thing I was saying earlier about the IPC but again steps on his toes with the upgrade path. You don't need a Z170 board to put an i5 or i7 in AND DX12 doesn't favor thread count it simply reduces overhead. It doesn't give much of an advantage to Intel processors running higher clock speeds simply because IPC is so high it's not a bottleneck. He also doesn't mention platform benefits like I did above. AMD's platforms are still running 3rd party controllers to utilize newer tech like more SATA3 and USB3. It also doesn't have PCI-E 3.0 at all. To reap the benefits of overclocking an 8320 and get newer tech like M.2 slots you need to buy newer boards like the Asus 970 Aurora which last time I looked was 100 bucks.

Lastly, he was running both at 4.4GHz. If you don't have a decent board for the 8320 or a good cooler you won't be overclocking high. For the cost of those two combined you can get an i5 and it's a no argument issue. In retrospect, my CPU is also 4 years old and I don't require an overclock for anything. Most people running an AMD FX CPU require an overclock to raise their FPS due to lack of IPC. To end that off, I find his #s extremely odd considering the 4.6GHz clocked 8320 failed to actually beat the i3 6100 in a lot of game tests in the Techspot review. Just look at this from Anandtech with a 4.8GHz clocked (400MHz more) 8320 vs a stock Haswell i3 which has less IPC than the 6100. It averages or barely beats the stock Haswell @ 3.7GHz. Since he was saying he was having stability issues and a blue screen on the i3 rig I'd be 100% willing to bet the whole bench setup was skewed because you get weaker performance on an unstable rig making the whole video 100% worthless. Again, unknown Youtuber < renowned tech review sites.

Look I've said my part and without purchasing the stuff to show you myself you can rely on what I said which relates closely to what these review sites say or you can make your own decision. In the end it's up to you whatever you feel is best for your money so honestly it's not really worth any more time writing long posts to show you what the better option is. You have the info and good luck with whichever you chose. I'll still help in relation to what parts you might need for whichever setup you go for but on the term of which chip is best the info is there for you to make heads or tails of.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom