Will minimal power management screw my cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winner

Baseband Member
I went to my motherboard manual to see how I could get cooler temperatures and it said to ensure cool n quiet is working, set the power options to minimal power management. Now my fan speed has gone way down and so has my MHz(from 2000 to 1000 for my 3800 amd 64). My temperatures have also gone way down. Is this okay? What do you guys recommend?

EDIT: I also want to make sure it will be okay like this during gaming.

Well of course you'r temps went much lower, and so did the noise, because you lowerd the core volt of the cpu and also lowerd the CPU clock speed which will decrease the performence in everything, thus the cpu generates LESS heat which is good if you can stand the decrease in performenec, most of us here won't.

and the noise has gone down because now the fan is less needed because the cpu produces less heat since you lowerd its voltage and clock.

But no, this won't harm you'r CPU in any ways, actualy it will extend its life time, lol.

I believe not... but maybe, it depends how does you'r mobo works, some mobos has min power managment that does increase voltage and cpu clock when the cpu is under load, some are not so automatic and just permanently lower everything.

i read, in another thread recently posted (i believe it was in building high speed comps section) that the cool'n quite will run your cpu back at higherspeed when it is needed (like for games)

I believe you have to configure it in your BIOS to pick up speed when temperatures reach a certain point. I personally suggest running it on max without cool n' quiet. Might as well have your PC as cool as it can be, unless the noise is bothering you that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom