Will it print if cartrige removed?

aimo3

In Runtime
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 4645

Will it print in black and white if the colour cartridge is removed?

Last edited:
Most likely it will tell you to insert the color cartridge when you go to print something, even if it's just black and white. I've tried it on my Epson printer. Its worth a shot to take it out and give it a try.

I kept researching after posting the question and found out that there are 3 technologies used in HP printers:

1. Integrated Print Head (IPH) where the print head is part of the ink cartridge.
2. Individual Ink Cartridges (IIC) where the print head is replaceable.
3. Individual Ink Cartridges (IIC) where the print head is fixed and supposed to last for the whole life of the printer.

Mostly the 1st category is the one with which you can remove a cartridge and the printer will keep printing, and you can do that safely. But I couldn't find out yet about this particular model (HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 4645).

I appreciate if someone can help me with this. It has 2 cartridges:

- CZ101AE (black)
- CZ102AE (tri-colour)

Why not just do the easy thing and set it in software/via the printer properties and set it to print in black or grayscale only?

Because I don't wan the users to have the choice.

I am surprises how difficult it is to find the information on the net and even by contacting HP!

If this is for a company, push the settings out over the network to users' machines that have the printer mapped, and lock the settings down over Group Policy so standard users cannot change settings back.

That's too much of settings to our configuration. I know there are printers which can work safely with one cartridge removed.

Back
Top Bottom