Will I notice speed increase with SATA3 SSD on SATA2 board?

When I copy or convert video, I use my ssd and after I'm done I then move it over to a platter drive for short term storage. It works well for me and from everything I've heard and read about ssd drives, they should outlast a platter drive, I can't recall the specifics but they are rated some thing like 30gb a day for x (10 ?) amount of years before they wear out

Benchmarks and file transfers don't really matter if you're on a budget just to get an SSD. If he could spend 20 more for an expansion card then it would make sense to try and at least get a bigger SSD than 64GB. Even if he benched and transferred with that SSD on SATA2 the 285MB/s sustained would be much greater than any HDD setup anyways.

Yea, I'm literally only putting the OS and Planetside 2 on it. I don't do much with big files anyway, and if I do I don't really mind my HDD speed.

I'm not concerned about life. I was one of those saying a long time ago that SSDs will last longer than people give them credit for.

Really? From what I hear, they aren't very reliable comparatively and often crap-out very quickly. I've also heard talk about stunning amounts of bad sectors due to the compactness.

Last edited:
Yea, I'm literally only putting the OS and Planetside 2 on it. I don't do much with big files anyway, and if I do I don't really mind my HDD speed.

Really? From what I hear, they aren't very reliable comparatively and often crap-out very quickly. I've also heard talk about stunning amounts of bad sectors due to the compactness.
Exactly what we were just talking about as this is false information. Some brands, namely some controllers with certain mated flash modules crap out quickly. These are usually older Sandforce based controlled SSDs, or OCZ Vertex 2, Vertex 3, Agility 2, and Agility 3 (as well as some others). Another false thing is, there are no sectors as this isn't a HDD we are talking about. You basically have what are blocks, and these degrade over time rather than just crap out at the rate we were talking about specifically (performance decreases slowly over time). You can literally write about 30-50GB a day to these drives for a specified amount of time which is MTBF. Certain drives like Crucial drives, certain Intel drives and the Samsung EVO series are meant for extended usage periods and longer read/write cycles. Overprovision takes over on newer drives meaning if things start to fail the over provisioned space takes over so you lose no performance immediately.

What I was talking about earlier was the whole "myth" is you had to treat SSDs like they are some kind of holy grail or whatever, or that they're real fragile but this isn't true. A lot of people dissed the first gen drives because they "quote what you just said" but yet I got one for review in 2008 and it's still running to this day with mostly 24/7 use by somebody else. This was a 64GB G.Skill drive.

Back
Top Bottom