Will a new sound card increase my computer speed?

Dwhite528

Baseband Member
I was wondering if a getting a pci sound card would speed up my computer. I have an onboard sound card right now, and I heard that they slow down the computer. Does the slowing down only happen on slower processors?

I have and Intel Celeron 1.7ghz, 768mb ram, on a biostar U866D motherboard.

I've heard in some systems i can make up 10 FPS diff. But going off board sound card costs ya like 39.99 which isn't much. And trust me from poeple that go from onboard to even the cheapest of sound cards are amazd at the diff that they see.

Hmm... if you mean system speed then not really even though onboard sound does use the CPU, which is why when I have used one and done a complex task, the sound cuts out or jumps which isn't good at all. Plus you get better sound quality with one that plugs into a PCI port.

With games, the speed would b noticable I would imagine if alot of sound channels are being used.

If you like music though for example, I would really consider switching.

I hope this helps :)

I do listen to music, but i dont care a lot about the quaily of the sound comming from my computer. I burn the cd's and play them in my sterio. I did notice that when sound were playing games it slowed down the performance as compaired to when the sound was off.

Yeah, that'll be the case then. If your really bothered, update the sound. Even a cheap Sound Blaster Live card would do you since you won't want surround I don't think, etc :)

Yeah I was going to get a cheap one. ($10 on Tigerdirect).

Well thanks for ur help. I just wanted to be sure a new sound card would speed up my system before i went messing around with it.

Back
Top Bottom