wifi router being hacked

This is going to sound a bit rude but I'm really not trying to be, only straight forward.

Little Google goes a long ways;
www.malwarebytes.com

As to before OS that's exactly what pre-boot is. It only does this if it's necessary because it can't remove malicious files being blocked by whatever means. It'll tell you some files couldn't be removed and prompt for a pre-boot scan to remove said files. That's about as good as you can get outside of certain AVs that you can manually trigger a pre-boot scan, which those won't completely cover what you're after anyways. The best course of action is to download, install, run update of MWB completely on each machine, disconnect them and run the scans multiple times. Once the number is 0 see if your problem is fixed. My dumb kids love to do things I tell them not to and have slowed my entire network to a snail crawl before due to infection causing me to place them on a bandwidth limited and scheduled VLAN. MWB single handedly cleaned each machine of a combined over 10k infections in less than 20 minutes (all SSD machines). Once my IPS stopped alarming me I knew it was all cleaned and I could then move forward with DNS limitations for them. Unless you got something more serious than kids clicking anything and everything they can imagine I would expect it'll work perfect for you too.

Thanks for the reply and expanation PP Mguire and no offence taken :)
I am running and have been running malwarebytes both official version and beta version along with other antivirus and malware scanners but with either no results or very confusing results..!
Its all got somewhat confusing... however here is what I do know:
1. formatted hdd then reinstalled windows 7 bought new router and setup with max security.. hacker was back in.. in no time at all and was switching on its wifi connection (possibly I connected to external hdd or device to connect to network that was not fully cleaned) but after this i did and experienced the following:
1. Cleaned down other laptop formatting hdd and reinstalling win 7 showed in local disk (c) files that I knew should not be there. this is without conecting to WWW or anything else (how is this possible?)
2. Was not allowed to copy paste files to usb - it would delete immediately on either take out or put in of usb after copy paste command to usb stick
3. My computer start up (While displaying bios options etc) has slowed very much (like something is working and taking too much time before windows starts to bootup)
There are more unusual things happening to pc's and I can only think that malware is present in other parts of computers hardware that will not be detected with general antivirus or malware scanners... don't know what to do?
Any further advice very welcome!
lepend

You actually have 22 pcs? That is crazy. Are they all infected?

What I would do is go to someone else's house with a new USB stick,fresh out of the package,download the windows ISO and write it to a stick,then turn off all of your computers and your router and with a computer that you know is not infected take out each of the computers drives copy all your files onto another drive format them, and then re-install windows on them all after the drives have been wiped, then reset your router before you turn on any computers

Want to make one thing clear: TURN OFF YOUR ROUTER this is like a case of COVID-19 any of those devices could be infected so if they come into contact with anything that could be infected it could infect the rest

Last edited:
You actually have 22 pcs? That is crazy. Are they all infected?

What I would do is go to someone else's house with a new USB stick,fresh out of the package,download the windows ISO and write it to a stick,then turn off all of your computers and your router and with a computer that you know is not infected take out each of the computers drives copy all your files onto another drive format them, and then re-install windows on them all after the drives have been wiped, then reset your router before you turn on any computers

Want to make one thing clear: TURN OFF YOUR ROUTER this is like a case of COVID-19 any of those devices could be infected so if they come into contact with anything that could be infected it could infect the rest
Thanks for your advice and be reassured I'll be doing what your advising...

no problem make sure you unplug any external drives or anyything like that before you begin. And it might be possible that you infected your neighbors pc to so... be wary

Thanks for the reply and expanation PP Mguire and no offence taken :)
I am running and have been running malwarebytes both official version and beta version along with other antivirus and malware scanners but with either no results or very confusing results..!
Its all got somewhat confusing... however here is what I do know:
1. formatted hdd then reinstalled windows 7 bought new router and setup with max security.. hacker was back in.. in no time at all and was switching on its wifi connection (possibly I connected to external hdd or device to connect to network that was not fully cleaned) but after this i did and experienced the following:
1. Cleaned down other laptop formatting hdd and reinstalling win 7 showed in local disk (c) files that I knew should not be there. this is without conecting to WWW or anything else (how is this possible?)
2. Was not allowed to copy paste files to usb - it would delete immediately on either take out or put in of usb after copy paste command to usb stick
3. My computer start up (While displaying bios options etc) has slowed very much (like something is working and taking too much time before windows starts to bootup)
There are more unusual things happening to pc's and I can only think that malware is present in other parts of computers hardware that will not be detected with general antivirus or malware scanners... don't know what to do?
Any further advice very welcome!
lepend
MWB only scans C drive unless instructed to do a custom scan. It scans boot sectors and RAM so all that's left is bios that could be infected.

MWB only scans C drive unless instructed to do a custom scan. It scans boot sectors and RAM so all that's left is bios that could be infected.
Do you know of a way/program that will scan the bios? Or is there a way to copy bios content without having to flash it?

Back
Top Bottom