Wifi Long Distance

awenwen

Beta member
I have a Netgear router and Spectrum internet. I need to get the internet to a shed 250 feet away without disrupting our home internet. We will need to run Ring Cameras and an iPad. Would I be able to place a second router at the shed? Maybe run a Ethernet cable to atleast run the Ring camera and forget the ipad?

Would it slow our internet down in the house? We have 400mbps. I am not sure if that matters to determining if it would slow it down. Also, whaich extender would you recommend?

Of course the more devices you have on your internet, it will affect the speed. If you have 400Mbps though you should be o.k. with that

Would it slow our internet down in the house? We have 400mbps. I am not sure if that matters to determining if it would slow it down. Also, whaich extender would you recommend?
Technically yes, but you wouldn't notice it unless you have 10+ cameras all sending data to the cloud. Try to remember, cameras are an upload thing, not a download thing. So the 400Mb number doesn't matter only your upload which with Spectrum is probably only around 20Mb. Each Ring camera is capable of using up to 3Mb upload so be careful. If your upload is maxed it can cause your download speeds to fluctuate on cable.

Recommended, depends on what your router is. Something like this should do the trick.
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-F...fi+extender+with+uplink&qid=1614383443&sr=8-3

Range extenders (also known as a WiFi booster) are wireless tools that connect to the router to extend the WiFi range. For optimal results, they are placed in a location where its close enough to the router to get a good signal, but far enough away that it can cover the areas that have little to no signal.

Hope You Find This Useful,
Peter

Back
Top Bottom