Wifi connection from a router via ethernet cable

nisidotatos

Beta member
Hello,
I am a student in a university in Germany. I get internet connection by ethernet from the wall socket and the connection of the uni.
I would like to use a router in my room to get wifi signal, because I have multiple devices and because the place of the socket plug is not in a very convenient place.
First of all I would like to tell you that the internet from the cable is working ok.

I bought a router TP link TD-W8968 which I connected to the wall socket via an Ethernet cable and then to my 1st pc with another Ethernet cable. This configuration works just fine.

However the wifi signal from the router fails to connect to the internet.

I have some minimal knowledge regarding how to connect a router to the pc so I would like you please to guide me.
My Ethernet controller is configured to obtain ip automatically.
My wifi controller is also currently set to obtain ip automatically.

I think that the problem is the configuration of the router.
When I go inside the configuration of the router by typing 192.168.1.1 in the browser and try to perform the quick setup I need to put in some values.

Could you please tell me which:
- VPI, VCI values I should put (currently they are set at 8, 35 respectively)

What should I select in the WAN type options?
I have available
PPPoE (which needs password)
Bridge
Dynamic IP
Static IP (which needs the static IP and other info)
PPPoA
IPoA

I think that (because i always get this ip) that the uni is using a static ip. Would i have to choose then the static ip and put the info?
Could you please help me?
Looking forward to hearing from you
Kind regards

Check with your University's IT department to see if you can even HAVE a router in your room.

I know for the college I worked for when I was a student tech, people were not allowed to have routers in their rooms for security reasons. If they were found to have a router, they were fined a decent amount of money and for repeat offenders, got their network access shut off.

Yeah, there could be a firewall blocking that routers connection to the network/internet. Do you know if the university uses a vpn? Or a proxy? Also, do you know if the university uses 192.168.1.1 as a router of their own? I highly doubt they do since it is limited to the amount of hosts you can have, at least without subnetting. Do you know if they register MAC addresses, or IP addresses in an IP table? You really should ask IT because if you are trying to do something that goes against school policy, you may be subject to consequential action. Just explain to them that you'd like it for that purpose, then they may allow you to use it by configuring it properly to the network requirements.

As others have said, check with your university before doing anything else.

It sounds like they have port security enabled (it would be dumb for them not to), which restricts how that port is used. If so, there's no way around it aside from getting the admin to change it for you, which I doubt would happen.

As others have said, check with your university before doing anything else.

It sounds like they have port security enabled (it would be dumb for them not to), which restricts how that port is used. If so, there's no way around it aside from getting the admin to change it for you, which I doubt would happen.

I second that. School is for school, not pleasure. If you have something you feel that you may need multiple devices for then make that a motion to your school, but as DistraughtSysop says, I completely doubt they would do it for you, because if they do it for one person, then others will surely ask and IT will just get annoyed and create a more strict policy haha

Back
Top Bottom