Wife installed windows twice?!?

lman

Solid State Member
O.K. yesterday I had to use a boot disc to get windows to boot, not sure why but after I repaired everything worked fine. This morning, my wife said that the same thing happened, but somehow she installed another windows file.... ok, at lest not a total format, the problem is how do I get windows to boot the old file, or how do I get all the stuff from the old wondows file to install itself and work on the new file???? I have windows Visat 64, and a ASUS P5Q Pro M.B. please please help. Thank you

So there's two windows installations, and it's only allowing you to boot from one?

The other one is probably in a folder called "windows.old" at the root of the drive (c:), if it was Vista that was installed.

O.K. yesterday I had to use a boot disc to get windows to boot, not sure why but after I repaired everything worked fine. This morning, my wife said that the same thing happened, but somehow she installed another windows file.... ok, at lest not a total format, the problem is how do I get windows to boot the old file, or how do I get all the stuff from the old wondows file to install itself and work on the new file???? I have windows Visat 64, and a ASUS P5Q Pro M.B. please please help. Thank you

they're Windows installs, not files, each Windows install has literally thousands of files...

;)

just look in the directory nevermind pointed you to...

Yes there is a "windows.old" folder, but how do I pull all my old stuff out of there, or boot to that one? I can see all my stuff in there, but do I need to re-install them one at a time or is there another way to do it. What would happen if I renamed them and deleted the "new" folder?

Yes there is a "windows.old" folder, but how do I pull all my old stuff out of there, or boot to that one? I can see all my stuff in there, but do I need to re-install them one at a time or is there another way to do it. What would happen if I renamed them and deleted the "new" folder?

bad things would happen, I would just bite the bullet and reinstall all the old programs that need reinstalling, it's much less of a headache than if you muck up the Windows install by accident and have to start over yet again, old data files should be able to be transferred as usual, right click, copy, then paste to the folder you want it on the corresponding new Windows folder, if it's a bunch of documents or pictures just left click one time on the file to highlight it and then hold down the shift key while moving the arrow key to include all the files you want, once all are highlighted, do the same as with a single file, right click, copy, etc...

Thanks, I appericate the advice, I guess I have a long night ahead of me.

Back
Top Bottom