why wont this hardrive work in this motherboard?

aidynphoenix

Baseband Member
hello everybody. first off let me thank all of you for your attention and any help.

ok i am trying to install a hardrive in a older motherboard. it is a gigabyte GA-7ZX. it has a socket A. 800mhz processor. and supports ATA 33/66/100
i have a hardrive here i am trying to get to work in it.. it is a Maxtor quickview. (120gb ATA/133)
i was able to install windows xp on it but when i go to load it restarts the computer..
also in bios the autodetect hardrive locks up. and when i go to manually set drive perameters it also locks up.

is this simply because the mobo doesent support ATA133?? or is the drive too big?
ty!!

also if so.. would a 80gb drive work in this?

ok so i downloaded the bios package. it is a application that unzips 3 files. one is 7zx.fg the next is autoexec dos batch file. and then there is another application named flash867..
so what do i do? do i run that flash 867 app from a operating system? or do i run that dos batch file (autoexec from dos?)
thanks for any help!

That needs to be run in a DOS environment.

If your motherboard supports Q-Flash, it will use the BIOS file you just downloaded. Otherwise, use the @ BIOS utility as it also uses that file.

tryed it through bios tells me bios Id error?

i thought i might of have gotten the wrong one.. but i checked the site.. my motherboard says exactially (GA-7zx) than over in the corner of the board it says REV 1.0
checked the picture of that board on the website and it has the ISA slot that my motherboard doesent.. also the other images show the primary ide connector as being red.. where mine is blue...
i am confused now..

aw crap that ver only works for rev 5.0.... there doesent seem to be any for my mobo version...

thanks for the help.. i think i got it sorted out now..
strange but it wouldent boot into xp useing a smaller hdd either.. it would crash after the loading screen.
i pulled the sticker off the bios chip. and noticed there was a sticker over a sticker.. on the hidden sticker i could see through it and read 7zx1 but the 7zx1 bios wouldent work with the flash utility.. i tryed the 7zx-H bios and it works just fine now!!
it boots into xp just fine. and also it reads the 120gb hardrives just fine..
any ideas as to whats wrong here?
maybe somebody put the wrong chip in this mobo or something????

well i ran into a problem.. my 128mb sticks are all reading as 64mb now.. same goes for all the memory i put in there..
this is upsetting.. idk what to do now..

Back
Top Bottom