Why Windows is less secure than Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Games will always run better natively in windows, but a lot of games (liek new awesome games) can be run with wine or cadega. Synaptic in ubuntu is stupid simple. CNR hopefully will make a universal program installer closer to reality. And to all linux doubters one word..."beryl" :D.

Linux is definitely a better OS. It is more secure, it is less of a resource hog, and maybe even little faster. With Beryl, it is probably even prettier than Aero.

But there are two main reasons I don't use it anymore.

1. It's not as popular as Windows, so the popular software that I like won't work with it. The non-native things you can get to work are a pain to get to work, and they usually don't work properly.

2. A lot of the people who shape GNU/Linux have a bad attitude. They are generally anti-anything-but-Linux. If you don't hold 100% to their extreme Free Software philosophy, you will get thrashed. (Try talking to some of these guys about Flash or mp3's). Because they are programmer/tech geeks, they can't understand why some end-users would want to have something that's easy to use. If people ask for something easier to use, they get defensive about how it is more powerful to do things the hard way. (granted, things are getting a lot easier, but the attitude is still there).

So, I use Windows because everything works without hassle. I pay attention to what I install. I don't get viruses or spy-ware. My system doesn't crash any more than it did with Ubuntu. Instead of wasting my time trying to get things to work, I'm using software that just works. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy Ubuntu (and I did use it long enough to know what I was doing).

t3ch_threads said:
Games will always run better natively in windows, but a lot of games (liek new awesome games) can be run with wine or cadega.

Tried games with wine with very limited success. With Cedega, you pay a monthly fee to be able to play the games that you have already paid for, and you can only play the ones on their list that they have got working. I don't think so!

forrestcupp said:
2. A lot of the people who shape GNU/Linux have a bad attitude. They are generally anti-anything-but-Linux. If you don't hold 100% to their extreme Free Software philosophy, you will get thrashed.

Granted, there are definitely people like this in the open source world, but not everone thinks like Richard Stallman and the Free Software Foundation.

There are a lot of people that just want things to work, and don't care if it's both free and open source. It just has to be free and work.

hilowe said:
Granted, there are definitely people like this in the open source world, but not everone thinks like Richard Stallman and the Free Software Foundation.

There are a lot of people that just want things to work, and don't care if it's both free and open source. It just has to be free and work.

Thank you for a gentle response.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have anything in the world against open source. It's just that I have locked horns with a lot of people that think that everything has to be open source. People who think I'm wrong for even using a driver for my video card because it's proprietary. I know that not every Linux user is like this, but a lot of these people are the ones directing how GNU/Linux is going. I really don't think this elitist mentality is going to change anytime soon.

I am happy for anyone who is satisfied with Linux, but I don't see any reason for me to not use Windows.

I dual boot. Probably my biggest problem with Linux was the philosophical adjustmant to how an OS is to interact with the user. After using windows/MacOS for so long, it has been slightly difficult for me to switch to Linux, but I am getting there. Meh...oh well.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have anything in the world against open source. It's just that I have locked horns with a lot of people that think that everything has to be open source. People who think I'm wrong for even using a driver for my video card because it's proprietary. I know that not every Linux user is like this, but a lot of these people are the ones directing how GNU/Linux is going. I really don't think this elitist mentality is going to change anytime soon.

I am happy for anyone who is satisfied with Linux, but I don't see any reason for me to not use Windows.

Well said.

While I despise Microsoft's business practices and their totalitarian ways of steam-rolling everyone who gets in their way, I like using Windows. Yes, it can be a pain in the rear, and, yes, it does require an occasional reboot, but it does work.

I like GNU/Linux because of the cost and the philosophical reasons behind it. I try to **not** shove those beliefs down other people's throats....too much :) Though I too think that the ramblings of Richard Stallman get old. It is just that the word "free" in english is taken to many ways and does not make a good marketing slogan. As Eric Raymond said "Hmmm. Free--cheap--shotty" It just goes hand in hand.

Edit: Lol had to add the not

I have nothing against Apple, Microsoft, or Linux. I use Windows primarily....Linux if I'm bored...and if I had a Mac then I'd use that all the time primarily for graphics work and web design.

I do; however, have a Macintosh SE, but all that really has is Simcity 1.0 and Grand Prix...and that's about it. So, that doesn't count... :p If anyone would like to give me a iBook...I'd gladly accept it. It'd make a little boy very, very happy. ;)

Enterpriser said:
Though I too think that the ramblings of Richard Stallman get old.

That's hilarious. You say that, yet you have a picture of Richard Stallman as your avatar. I believe you mean what you say, though.

I really see the benefits of Free Software philosophy, but I also understand that sometimes proprietary is ok, too. It's just the extremists that bother me, and there are a lot of them. Between that and not being able to do some of the things I wanted to do, I decided there's really nothing wrong with using the Windows OS that came free with my PC. I still use open source in Windows whenever possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom