Why PCs Should Get More Sleep

If you want to do your bit, look for 65nm CPUs, and such. No Gamer, is a good gamer without one of that...but there's also the fact of low power hardware.

ya weve got 11 dams on the Columbia so i bet over half the power comes from there and if hanford was still up that would REALLY lower emmisions

Intel's got the new 45nm process looking to come out soon for ultra compact mobile laptops. That should help with energy usage. Here's a sneak peak:

Intel's upcoming Penryn will be the first processor to take advantage of 45nm manufacturing technologies later this year. The new 45nm manufacturing process includes a new lithography process that uses high-k dielectrics and metal gate transistors to reduce transistor leakage. Intel's Xeon-family will receive 45nm upgrades later this year as well.

3716_large_penryn_die_45nm.png

3717_large_intel_high_k_metal_gate.png

all this 'global warming' crap is getting boring now.

anyone see the documentary on C4 the other day?

i dont buy into all that global warming at all.. crap made up so they can increase taxes and steal more money

Al Gore had a movie awhile back called, "The Inconvienent Truth" in regards to global warming. I haven't seen the whole thing yet because the beginning of the movie put me to sleep.............I still have it on my hard drive, just sooo boring.

According to my interruptible power supply, my computer takes up 188 at complete idle with my monitor and speakers on.

root said:
but surely that's the point here.
it's easy to press start - > shutdown - > OK
or even just tap the power button on the case

why do I need a whole new OS to turn my computer off for me? because some guy at microsoft told me that turning the PC will save me power, but hell why should I turn off my own PC when the PC can do it for me?? all I need to do is go buy Vista, then I can get a warm fuzzy feeling like I'm doing my bit for the environment?
Yeah, and the ironic thing is in Windows Vista, the main power button in the start menu just puts it to sleep rather than turning it off, so it still consumes some power. :/

You have options to turn it off, though, but you have to go through more steps. I don't see how Vista saves anymore power, unless they are making a big deal over the new power saver mode for laptops. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom