Why not to get AOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealing with ISP's suck. When I first got my ADSL connection, I had the service for about a month before I even got connected. It just wouldn't connect.

They told me to try another computer, I did. Then they told me to try another network cable. I did. Then another modem. Another network card, another phone line. Still not working...

So they decide to send a technician out. He says it works perfect, and I should have no problems. But he doesn't try to connect with a computer. He just uses a little handheld doohickey to connect to the local office 2 houses away, not the main ISP office 900km away.

So I drag my computer, my modem, my cables all to my friends house. I set it up. It works. I drag it all back home, call Aliant again, telling them it cannot be my fault that it doesn't connect. So the Aliant guy keeps me on the phone insisting that he lead me through a checklist, installing the software, checking the network card settings, as if I didn't know about any of it. I tell him I've already done that, and that I know enough about computers. He makes me go through the checklist anyway, and I go along with it, simply because I want my internet connection that bad.

So it still doesn't connect. The guy on the phone says he will send another technician. Five days later, he comes. Sits around for FOUR hours on his laptop, baffled by why it won't connect. He makes a call to the main ISP office. They forgot to activate my ISP account.

Nevertheless, I still get charged for 5 hours of long distance, and the fee's for the two technician visits. If there was an alternate ISP service, I would switch without a second thought. However, they've got somethin' like a frickin' monopoly here, since this is a rural area.

Oh well. Atleast there's no cap on my bandwidth. And I'll frickin' well use it to it's full potential too :p

Wasn't AOL pretty popular back in like the late 90's? I remember having it for about a year, I remember the process of going through the cancelation but nothing to this extend. I guess they seem pretty desperate in trying to keep their customer.

AOL customer service people used to get paid for stopping customers from cancelling. So when you called to cancel your account they would do everything to convince you not to and many times go so far as to tell you the service had been cancelled while still keeping it active so you could get the commission. I believe there was also a class action lawsuit over this.

jorsoft03 said:
AOL customer service people used to get paid for stopping customers from cancelling. So when you called to cancel your account they would do everything to convince you not to and many times go so far as to tell you the service had been cancelled while still keeping it active so you could get the commission. I believe there was also a class action lawsuit over this.

That would probably explain why the guy was so eager to help LOL.

AOL Guy "Com on dude, just keep using for like a day man, I've gotz kids to feed"

Law said:
they seem pretty desperate in trying to keep their customer.

I couldn't agree with you more, they were practiacally BEGGING him not cancel his account. AOL sucks, they are not so much as an IS provider as they are program enforcers. I mean I use to go to my friend's house and she had AOL and she couldn't even play any online games or use a decent web browsers because with AOL you pay them to be limited by them. You have to use their internet, their browsers and their programs for EVERYTHING you do and to me, it's just not worth it. I mean you pay them to give you an internet connection and force heaps of useless software on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom