Why download a download manager in order to download? And FFS Linux!

connchri

Daemon Poster
Bewarned, I only came here to vent some anger! But, would like to see you opinions too

<RANT>

Right, I got a second hand Thinkpad X61s. Sold the big beasty as I need the funds due to my car cylinder head blowing (yeah, I know, I rattled it too hard....). So, arrives the Thinpad, was absolutely over the moon with it as it looks as though it's never been used. Everythings mint, even the battery holds over 6 hours on charge. Thought, I've got a week off, I'll get it sorted out.

So, it came with a blank hard-drive. No problem, I've got plenty of Windows discs, so I got cracking..... or so I thought.

I don't like using hooky copies of any software, and the licence on the X61s is for Vista Business. I don't mind Vista, as long as SP1 or later is installed. So, I went through all my CD's, numerous times, and I still can't find my Vista disc. But, I did find a Fedora 15 disc that I was messing about with months ago. So, thought to myself, I'll install this, download an unmolested rip of a Vista disc, then burn it and carry on.

So, installed fedora, worked ok, found my torrent and away I went.... To go and buy a DVD Writer. Found one on Gumtree, an USB external one, £10, bargin. Went and picked it up.

Got home, Vista Download was complete, so plugged in the DVD-RW, and burned the image.... At least I tried. Every time I tried burning this thing, it was stopping at 33%, or there abouts. And linux behaving idiotically. Even the WiFi and Bluetooth kept sticking on in Airport mode! Anyway, after hours of frantically trying to burn this disc, I eventually got a disc burned.

So, popped the disc in, Windows installation wizard starts, reconised my licence key, starts the installation.... then read errors! Can't read the disc! So the disc is knackered. I should have verified it!! but, no-ones perfect.

So, linux is no longer installed due to the repartitioning for Vista, and the Vista discs is buggered (looking at the bottom of the disc, it's fairly evident it didn't burn right! - these are Sony DVD-R's, seemenly one of the best to buy). So, I start thinking, "This Burner must be faulty - I've been scammed! Surely Linux should be able to burn a DVD no problem - it's 2011, it's a routine thing".

So, I had to use a hooky copy of Win 7, really didn't want to. Got it installed, downloaded the same torrent again, and installed my legal copy of nero burning rom 9. Burned the disc - burned perfectly. Verified it, it's verified. Thought, "magic, good to go now, but let's download all the drivers first". So, linux, as usual whenever I use it, just sucks. And I'm no fanboi, I've used it since the late 90's, and everything just seems to become a hassle with it. Even when things seems to be fine, in a matter of days it starts to fall apart! So, I consign Linux back to the "only use in extreme emergencies" pile.

So, before the install of Vista, I thought I'll just download the drivers for the X61s. And here's a bigger pain, and it's a growing trend!... Why do you need to download "download managers" in order to download the files you need?????? Adobe now do it, Lenovo now do it, downloading a student version of Windows 7 needs it. What's wrong with just giving me the bloody link?? I have my own download manager - IDM! I don't need to be held by the bloody hand! At least give me the option to direct link! It's not as if it's somehow protecting their software from piracy, the end result is the same - I get the downloaded file. So why o why are software companies so insistant in installing more bloat that is not needed???? Just frustrates! I like a mean lean machine.

Anyway, this rant is actually rather soothing, I've just took delivery of a RAM upgrade for the machine as I was typing this. The drivers have downloaded, and I'm armed with the verified Vista Disc and licence key.... Fingers crossed this works, or they'll be a Thinkpad X61s flying across the east end of Glasgow from the top of a tennement building!

</RANT>

I'll let you all know how I get on....

Yes, lol, I am.

It's all good now. Just finished installing all the drivers and updates, and now just putting on some AV and all my other software.

Working like a charm, and the good thing is with a Thinkpad, that the additional software that is usually characterised as bloatware is actually pretty lean and useful. The power management software is fantastic for a start.

Loving the deal I got though. I got the laptop (X61s), with the docking station, the battery has only done 20 charge cycles (3 of them are my own) so no wonder it goes for 5 to 6 hours, and the fella also put it in a full leather targus laptop bag. All for £120. This thing is like brand new, it's obviously just sat on someones office desk for 3 years and never been used.

Anyway, happy chappy now. Hahahaha.... But, I'll never touch Linux again. It's only use is in super computing, servers or some embedded application as far as I'm concerned - Day to day desktop usage, no way IMO.

......................... And we all live happily ever after...... :p

Back
Top Bottom