Whos voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
the election in our school was pretty close. 55% to 45% won't say who won, but it was close.

i'm personally out tomorrow morning for obama holding signs at the bright and early hour of 6am, but personally I don't think mccain would do a bad job as president. it sucks for me cause i can't vote, but i'm doing what i can to get my voice out, and i wanna thank everybody for taking time to vote and to get your voice heard.. even if your vote doesn't count due to the electoral college! horay republics instead of democracy!!!

I wasnt able to register in time but im in the service so i think ive served my country well.

Hopefully the guy who promises change will win and deliver...too many years of failed attempts which have led to a recession.

Indeed Peter even if the electoral college votes in a presidential candidate as the new "leader of the free world." There is always AIPAC which can just deem that his not fit for leader ship.

America is a Democratic Republic btw.

You vote your representatives into office and they vote in the President/Vice President.

the electoral college is not bound by anything. the members of the electoral college can cast their ballot however they see fit. its just the standard for the members to go with the people.

They don't ALWAYS go with the people. But then again the system has not been perfected and will never be perfected. On the bright side the winning candidate usually wins both the popular vote and the electoral college vote. So there isn't much room for me to moan about it.

They don't ALWAYS go with the people. But then again the system has not been perfected and will never be perfected. On the bright side the winning candidate usually wins both the popular vote and the electoral college vote. So there isn't much room for me to moan about it.

bush didn't win the popular vote either time he ran... jackson won the popular vote and electoral vote against quincy adams in 1824 but still lost the election ;) and 2 other times it happened. so it isn't a perfect system and could be perfected by the elimination of the electoral college.

also the electoral college is just a stupid thing that was set in place that has no real place in democracy. the ability to decide in their own way makes our country a republic, not a democracy

The US IS a Republic. But they seem to love pushing that little D word into everything Americans do. DEMOCRACY DEMOCRACY!! So they call it a Democratic Republic as well.

The fact that a Republic allows for Representatives is very Anti-democratic. Because those representatives allow the voice of their community to be heard. Whether their community is the majority or the minority.

Just think about it for a second, the early settlers in the States were Puritans who fled Europe due to religious persecution. I think that their aim would be to set up a system that allowed EVERYONE to be heard. Which is what the Republican system aims to deliver.

the belief that the puritans came for religious freedom is only the tip of the iceburg. there were many many more reasons why people came to the new land.

and the puritans didn't want a democratic society. think of it, religious institutions are some of the most hierarchical groupings on the earth to this day..

and what good is your voice if it has no real bearing on the outcome of the issue.

I came to the new land because I saw Harold and Kumar's movie
I came for those delicious, steamy, breathe-taking burgers

but I seriously wanted to vote for Hilary instead of these 2 old farts :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom