''who'' and ''whom'' when to use them

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfatfrickinfa

Baseband Member
My question is the following:

Do I use ''who'' or ''whom'' in this sentence?

"... wondering if you had any guidance counselors [who(m)?] I could contact who would be capable of answering my question."

I'm applying for an Ivy league college and i'm writing this email but i don't want grammar to be the deciding factor on whether or not they admit me.

An I know this is basic grammar, but im more of a math/science person.

Thanks in advance:)

here's another site:
http://www.ku.edu/~edit/whom.html

basically, who is used when the person you are referring to is the subject

Joyce is the girl who got the job. (She got the job.)
Joyce, the person, is the subject

whom is used when you are talking about a different subject, but you are including the person

Jones is the man whom I went fishing with last spring. (I went fishing with him.)
the subject is "I went fishing"
it is just including a person, but they are not the subject

I'm actually more of a Physics/Maths person myself.
in this case, if you were to say this to someone else, you'd say:
"apokalipse is a member on tech-forums, who is more of a physics/math person" (with me being the subject)

apokalipse said:
here's another site:
http://www.ku.edu/~edit/whom.html

basically, who is used when the person you are referring to is the subject

Joyce, the person, is the subject

whom is used when you are talking about a different subject, but you are including the person

the subject is "I went fishing"
it is just including a person, but they are not the subject

I'm actually more of a Physics/Maths person myself.
in this case, if you were to say this to someone else, you'd say:
"apokalipse is a member on tech-forums, who is more of a physics/math person" (with me being the subject)

umm thanks but...which do i use?(in this case?)

basically, just think what the actual subject of the sentance is.

if the subject is the person, you use who

if the subject is not the person (but is still referring to them in some way) you use whom

here is the complete sentence please just answer it for me because ive read it too many times and nothing makes sense

''I have another question about guidance that I would rather discuss over the phone and I was wondering if you had any guidance counselors(who whom?) I could contact who would be capable of answering my question''

since the subject is about a person, you'd use who.
but how about just leave it like this:

''I have another question about guidance that I would rather discuss over the phone and I was wondering if you had any guidance counselors I could contact who would be capable of answering my question''

without another who in it

apokalipse said:
since the subject is about a person, you'd use who.
but how about just leave it like this:

''I have another question about guidance that I would rather discuss over the phone and I was wondering if you had any guidance counselors I could contact who would be capable of answering my question''

without another who in it

you know whats funny......thats how i originally had it :p and i think im going to leave it like that

thanks a lot

you could also word it like this:

''I have another question about guidance that I would rather discuss over the phone and I was wondering if you had any guidance counselors who I could contact, that would be capable of answering my question''

but it's not a good idea to use two who's in the same sentance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom