Which Switch

tspatrick

Beta member
I have been given the task to provide Internet access to a group of office buildings. There is a total of 17 buildings with an average of 3 office units in each building. Most of the office units will be utilized by medical practices. The following is what I know so far.

* Internet access will be provided in the form of bonded T1s with router provided by ISP.
* There are Conduit runs between each building.
* We will Run Multimode Fiber Optic Cable between building creating a fiber ring.
* We will Run Cat5 cable from Fiber ring to each Unit in building.
* Unit owner will provide their own firewall.

I need to know what type/brand/model switch would be sufficient at the router's edge and at each building on the fiber ring. At the building I would guess the switch to have mini-GBIC ports (2 or more) and 10/100 Fast Ethernet ports (12 or 24) to run to each unit. I would like to use LC or SC fiber optic connectors with 50 micron cable. I also need to control bandwidth for each separate unit. This would be easier manageable at the router's edge switch but I can manage it at the building switch if necessary.

I need a simple and cost effective setup, I do not mind using older/reliable equipment. Thank you and I look forward to your replies.

- Shawn

Back
Top Bottom