which sound card to buy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdalian

Baseband Member
I'm into professional record(ie my job)
and my sound card died on my so i'm looking for a new one that is better than my last one-I had sound blaster audigy MP3, I've seen some nice ones for $300

any suggestions???

I use a Sound Blaster Live and it rocks. It has lots of outputs and I believe a couple of inputs. Also, I have found Boston speakers work well with it. Mabye it is just me that thinks that...

For professtional recording, I think Turtle Beach beats SB.

Sounblasters aren't what they used to be, they seemed to have come to a stand still with quality while other brands catch up or overtake. The Turtle Beach are a good solid card, the best nowadays would probably have to be the Hercules cards

professional recording? and your using soundblaster cards?
hmmm....

professional recording audio cards are typically start around AU$400.00 going up to over AU$1000.00 depending on what you want. here isw an example of an Audiotrak card $599.00 : http://www.sound-music.com/product_info.php?PID=7

nice site if your local to australia.

I have been thinking about putting a Santa Cruz in my system if i were to buy a new sound card. Right now i have a Soundblaster Live 5.1

What about the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1? That card is supposed to smoke everything, but it has a hefty price tag. Only thing I have seen about this (or looked for) was on the box at BestBuy. I love BestBuy.

I got an Audigy2 for $70. 24bit sound is definitely worth it.

edit:
Worth it, when compared to my previous live! platinum. I looked at the turtle beach card for a while but I think I didn't go with it because it hasn't had much review in a while so I questioned its edge.

edit edit:
ack. sorry. pro sound. I'm out on this one...I can't imagine doing pro sound editing on anything but a qualified pro-tools rig.

vdalian said:
I'm into professional record(ie my job)
and my sound card died on my so i'm looking for a new one that is better than my last one-I had sound blaster audigy MP3, I've seen some nice ones for $300

any suggestions???

Depends what you mean by "record".

Record as in analog (i.e., live instruments in a pro or home studio) to a DAW? If so, how many ins/outs do you need (4? 8? 10?), and of what type (SPDIF, 1/4", RCA?). Do you need MIDI also? Do you want to go PCI or USB? What software are you currently using (Cubase, Cakewalk, Protools, n-tracks, etc.)?

M-Audio, Aardvark, & Edirol all make PCI and/or USB sound cards that fall within your budget of $300 (there are others, too, just can't think of them at the moment). Check your system specs (hardware & OS) very carefully against the manufacturer's compatibility list (especially important if going the USB route). Read tech reviews and get feedback from people who use the equipment before laying down your $.

But, since you said your last soundcard was an SB, I suspect that studio type recording is not what you're referring to. What you want to do narrows down what sound card you should buy.

Cyanatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom