Which processor to get?

Kalgatha

Fully Optimized
Alright guys I'm looking at building a new computer sometime in the near future. I'm gonna try to get a computer that can play more recent games like CoD4 well but that won't break my wallet. I was looking at getting either the Intel quad core Q6600 or a AMD 6400+X2. or maybe something else. i really don't know. which processor would give me more of what i need for my money? I appreciate all help!

Theres a big difference between those 2 processors you've mentioned.
Ones a quad, and ones a dual; the X2 being the dual.

Personally, I'd shell out and get the Q6600 as nothing can beat it right now.

Either that, or pick up a nice Core 2 Duo, which is just as affective, though maybe not as cheap as the X2 model's by AMD, though both doing the same thing.

The Q6600 g0 edition (most retailers will stock this version now anyhow) is very overclockable. Its default speed is 2.4ghz, and I've got mine overclocked to 3.2ghz at the moment, but I have had it up to 3.6ghz. It was just running a bit hot, so I turned it down.

alright, so its worth the extra 100$ or so? how much longer will it last? im headed off to college next year and prolly won't have much money/time to put into building and upgrading my comp. so i wanna get something now that will at least run future games decently well. was also looking @ getting 4gb ram and pny 8800 512 gddr3. sound good?

Intel's 8 and 9 series CPU's will be released Q1 of next year, which will be 45nm quad and dual cores. So as far as lasting, it won't be as long as the next gen CPU's. I have no clue what they will cost though.

4GB of RAM is fine, try to get 2X2 GB sticks.

As for the videocard, a 8800GT 512 would be fine for now. Nvidia's new line is coming February though.

I would say don't settle less than a quad core since they're made so affordable now and your system will run better with quad core. You can multitask much better. RAM anywhere from 2-4GB is perfect. 1GB is not enough, regardless of what Microsoft says about 1GB being the recommened RAM count. Yeah right. It will run, but it can get sluggish depending on what you're doing. I have 3GB right now (dual channel--might I add). RAM never peaks. Excellent.

Intel quad cores are better than the AMD Phenom even though the Kentsfield model is older.

just got my quad not too long ago, don' t regret it, even with the new processors coming out the q6600 wont let you down.i play crysis , wow, cod4, convert movies, seed for other forums, never laggs on me love the quad!!! plays Blue ray hd movies flawlessly :D

Wow I just got a NVIDIA 8600 a couple of days ago and in FEB. New ones are coming out. How will that compare?

Back
Top Bottom