Which of these CPUs would be better?

fetus

In Runtime
I was thinking of building a new gaming rig and then it hit me--I really don't know shit about computers! Now I could be totally wrong, but isn't this AMD CPU superior to the i7 below? it's running at 3.2GHz as opposed to the Intel's 2.66GHz although the i7 has 8MB of L3 Cache instead of 6MB. What is the importance of the L3 Cache? Is it like a reserve that the CPU can tap into when under heavy load? Does that extra 2MB make the faster speed of the Phenom negligible? Which of these would be better for gaming? Also, if anyone has a CPU they think would be better I'm open to suggestions. I'm trying to shoot for say, a $2,000 to $3,000 PC.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

I'm pretty sure the i7 would pack more power
But the frequency its running at isn't the only thing you should look at
Someone will probably mention architecture of the chip

Amd 955 Black Edition is the best there is when it comes to gaming.
The i7 will work for editing etc. but if you are a huge gamer, the 955 is your best bet.

Looking at benchmarks recently for most of the intel / amd comparisons, the AMD processors seemed to come off much better for gaming as said above, but in other general number crunching tasks the intel variety had a clear lead. I'd go for the i7 any day, but then I don't play games anymore ;)

I would go with the i7. It's a better all around processor in my opinion. But I'm pretty sure that they will be discontinuing the i7 series. So you may want to think of that as well. I would say just look at benchmarks and make a decision based on the tasks you will be using it for and based on your budget.

Yep, they've pretty much nailed it above.

P2 for gaming, i7 for video editing, encoding, heavy calculations, etc.

I have the 955, but my board is currently dead, and I am in the RMA process.
Either one will be an excellent performer though. Just be sure to get an AM3 board, not an AM2+ board if you go with the 955. Both will work, but the AM3 only one will have DDR3 support, and will generally run better with the CPU.

Back
Top Bottom