which is processor is better.

umm cnt comment on the p4 but i have that pentium D and it works wonders with 2GB RAM which probably isnt needed 1 GB is fine but it runs fine

get an AMD X2. cheaper and does the job much faster and better. If u want I have a AMD x2 5200+ @ 2.61GHz, and a asus Mobo that will be good for your build. im selling it for 300. let me know

Pentium Ds are actual dual core. The differences between it and the C2D is the FSB, in the E6x models and their cache.
The Pentium D is better. I'm planning to get a Pentium D 940...in 90 years from now.
pentium d isnt actually a physical dual core, it tricks the computer into thinking it's dual core, if you can get a cheap core 2 duo, those are really two processors in one... d is not, D out of those two processors is best though

You've just answered the definition of a Pentium 4 with HT :p

lol well i knew the p4 HT acted like 2, one physical and one logical, but i read somewhere that the pentium D's share the cache and stuff, they have 2 cores, but share cache, apparently this isnt right, and of course i cant find the damn place i found it, SO i stand corrected, sorry for my dumbass mistake :p

Actually, Intel shared their caches for a reason I don't know. Maybe the dies waren't made for dedicated cache.

It's cache sharing, probably, but not on the L2...or was it L1?

Anyays, a Pentium D is dual core, and you've admitted your mistake. You're here to help and learn, so it's your benefit that you learn from your mistakes :)

well how exactly does dual core work? when a single core has used up all the processing power can it just continue working at a good speed because it has the second core? Or are both cores used at the same time? Because I have heard from some where that having a dual core is exactly like having 2 processors built right in.

bullzi, Core 2 Duo shares the L2 cache between the two cores. This is a lot better than each core having its own L2 cache.
To put it simply, there are two people (the two cores) and each of the have their own water bottle. But one of them needs to drink two bottles of water to satisfy his thirst while another only needs to drink half of it. But they can't share in between for their paranoia of transferring disease and the likes. But if they share a giant pool of water, each can satisfy his own thirst by filling up their water bottle to the level that they need. Hope this helps ;)

trollmaster, having a dual core is like having two processors work at the same time with different applications, or a single application if it is coded correctly. Think about it like building a house. One group of people can start with the foundation while another group can start deciding where the plumbing is going to go instead of having only one group build the foundation and then after decide the plumbing. Theoretically, they can build the house twice as fast.

Back
Top Bottom