Which gateway to use??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kukuhead

Baseband Member
On my win2k server, i have got 2 NIC.
NIC 1 configured dynamic IP - Connected to ADSL router whose IP is 10.0.0.2.
NIC 1 IPCONFIG
IP: 10.0.0.5
DHCP:10.0.0.2
DNS:10.0.0.2
GATEWAY:10.0.0.2

NIC 2 static IP - Connect to client xp home
IPCONFIG
IP: 10.0.0.8
DHCP:10.0.0.8
DNS:10.0.0.8

(if i configue my static wrongly, this server also run as dhcp n dns server for my domain.)

My Winxp client NIC configured as dynamic as it grap IP from my win2k server DHCP.
Ipconfig
IP: 10.0.0.6
DHCP:10.0.0.8
DNS: 10.10.0.1
GATEWAY:

What should i put in my gateway? i want to access the internet thru my win2k server.
Must i install my win2k Server as a proxy server??
Why is my DNS in my winxp client shown as 10.10.0.1? i dun have this address in my win2k server.

Thanks

no need to setup a proxy, you can setup Routing and Remote Access Services (RRAS). this will make your 2000 server act as a router

set the client's gateway to 10.0.0.8. You always want to set your gateway to the machine with the wan link.

or you could just plug the clients into the router and let the router handle dhcp, no need to complicte life for yourself.

I dunwan to plug into the router as i want to learn how do i use client to access internet thru server.

I will try to install RRAS as a learning experiences too, thanks :)

csamuels said:
no need to setup a proxy, you can setup Routing and Remote Access Services (RRAS). this will make your 2000 server act as a router

set the client's gateway to 10.0.0.8. You always want to set your gateway to the machine with the wan link.

Hey, am i rite to say dat it is actually easier to setup my win2k server as a proxy in this scenario? cos after dat i just need to point my xp client proxy to the server IP?

Regardless of the answer, i will still setup the RRAS cos of experiences. So can you guide me on this? i know i just need to choose the type of connection and enable rras. But wat about the other setting??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom