Which CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer

In Runtime
OK thers plenty of guides out ther to tell me how to overclock. What I am looking for is what current CPU's (preferably AMD) would be good for overclocking? my budget is the 300-350 dollar range. I also am not looking to do extreme overclocking, but enough to get noticeable performance gains. Stability comes before speed. I will have either a cheap water cooling kit, or really good fan (is it possible for air cooling; how much better is water?)

I am looking for specific CPU suggestions. thanks.

Most people said the amd opteron 165 Denmark was a good cpu that was dual core and could hit speeds of 2.6 making it exactly a fx-60. That was some time ago and it is known the longer a cpu is out the less high oc's you see. Thats what I was told atleast. Amd x2s are good. I would say dual core because they are good to have now so when amd does reverse hyperthreating or games utilize both cores youll be set!

water cooling, even a cheap kit, works incredibly well. i can do pretty much anything to my x2 3800+ and the temp doesnt go over 28*C (my old stock air cooled AMD socket A sat at 49*C, and about 1*C for every .05 GHz increase).

the word on the street is that the opterons OC the best. the opty 165 is the lowest end dual core i believe. it fits in your buget.

basicly the jist is get an opty if u know what ur doing w/ OC'ing, get a X2 if u rnt doing anything 2 extreme.

alot of people like AMD's but personally I would go for the new Intel Core Duo. for 314.99 you can get the t2500 which is pretty good and uses little power and produces little heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom