Which CPU should i take?

honorship

Solid State Member
Hi all,
I'm building a new desktop and i need to choose a good CPU.
I have in mind 2 CPU's:
1.AMD Phenom II x4 955 black edition- a nice 4 core CPU, easy to OC.
2.AMD Phenom II x6 1090T black edition- 6 core CPU, also easy to OC.

The second is $60 higher than the first.
I saw some benches of this 2 CPU's and they are almost the same:Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
I'm building this PC for gaming so i want to know which one should i take and if it worth to put $60 more into the 6 core CPU.
Thanks.
P.S The video card i'm gonna take is HD 6870.

i think that depends.
are you upgrading anytime in the neer future?
aplications are getting more and more multithreaded. and the 1090t is best for that job.

the problem is that the 1090t is not as good (as you can se in the result) considered that it is a 6x cpu.
intels 6x are way better. but those are also ridiculous expensive.

i think for the time being there is no need at all to have a 6x cpu. only for servers and workstations.
but alot of those high performance workstations are using xeon 8x cpu's.

if i where you i will go for the 955.

also i would use that money for better Graphics card. i would consider a 6950 if i where you.
that card can be bios upgraded to a 6970. the 6950 is the same card as 6970 just with some limitations. some transistors are locked.
you can unlock those. the card is not much more pricey then 6870. and it is better even without the bios upgrade.

Seeing how my X6 performs in games, I have to agree with EchoNatek's response. I didn't buy my X6 for gaming, but I notice that a lot of games that I do play on the system tend to only hit 4 cores at the moment, and performance is great.

Save the extra $60 and dump that into a higher end video card. You won't regret it, the AMD X4 CPUs are plenty fast.

Back
Top Bottom