Which CPU and other questions?

pukka-pie

Beta member
Heylo people. I'm planning on getting a new PC and not quite sure about which CPU to get, imk pretty sure im getting AMD due to the price diffirence between these and intel. Anyway do I get the

1:phenom II X4 955 (4 x 3.2 GHz) AM3 8MB
2:phenom II X4 970 (4 x 3.5 GHz) AM3 8MB (which is £30 more)
3:phenom II X6 1055T (6 x 2.8 GHz) AM3 9MB. (which is £5 more than 2)

I have no idea about 6 cores, are they any better? and is 2 worth the extra £30. Not sure if i made any sense here but i appreciate the help.

Also is it worth getting 8gb ram as opposed to 4gb ram? Bearing in mind I want to be able to play Shogun 2 on high.

Another issue im having is deciding to get a new Graphics card with my new pc, I have Radeon 4800hd, is this up to scratch?

thanks (dunno if ive posted this in the right place)

Scan.co.uk: Intel CPU Core i5 2300 Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor - BX80623I52300

would be better than all of the ones you posted by a massive margin, even with 2 less cores, but costs slightly less than the 1055T. If you plan on overclocking though, you will need to get:

Scan.co.uk: Intel CPU Core i5 2500K Unlocked Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor - BX80623I52500K

instead, as it is unlocked.

4GB of RAM should be enough, if you find it isn't though, you can always get another set of 2 x 2GB later on.

finally, what specific video card do you have? There are many different models in the HD4800 series

Its the Ati one.. i dont know how to find out any more than that?

Let me rephrase the question.. is this a good PC?

Case: NZXT Phantom Enthusiast
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 (4 x 3.4 GHz) 8MB
CPU heatsink: Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CPU Cooler
RAM: Corsair 4GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (1x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
Graphics: ATI radeon hd 4800??
Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M (Intel P67)
700W PSU
750 GB hard drive

Essentially im asking whether this is any good, whether it is future proof, and whether i can cut any of the above back i.e. is it worth spending the extra £ on a good case and CPU heatsink, is it worth splashing the cash on that CPU as opposed to the AMD. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom