which AMD MoBo for budget build?

schazz1

Solid State Member
I'm building a budget computer for my brother…basically the idea is the cheapest possible quality components that can do some low/mid level gaming (his favorite game is WoW) and other basic school/media stuff. Nothing too taxing.

This is what I have so far:

Case: Antec 300 ($50)
PSU: Antec earthwatts EA380 ($30)
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 Brisbane 2.3GHz (plan to OC a bit) ($35)
Cooler: Arctic Freezer 64 Pro ($25)
Ram: Crucial DDR2 2x2GB PC6400 800MHz ($40AR)
GPU: EVGA 8600GTS PCI-E 512MB DDR3 ($40AR)

$220 total with Mobo and HDD (I have a burner) still to go…
The HDD I'm not worried about but the MoBo I would like a little help with. I'm looking for something that I can overclock well. Maybe something a little higher end than my other components to allow for upgrading in the future. Does anyone have some advice as to makes/models I should be looking at? I looked at the **New Build Guide** which was cool but am looking for additional info on specific MoBos please! Finally, does this build look reasonably balanced or is there any component in particular that might hold it back?

Thank you!
Will

I would go with a 780G motherboard, which is an AM2+ board and should support the upcoming 45nm Deneb Phenoms.

A decent Sapphire board can be had for just under $80: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813154016

If you have $20 more to spend though, you can get a 790GX+SB750 combo which has just been released. It features a better IGP than the 780G, and the improved SB750 southbridge that helps a lot in the OC'ing of Phenoms.

or this open box Asrock for a little bit more $$, if you find another 8600GTS for cheap sometime soon you could run the two cards in SLI and the board also has built in WiFi...

ASRock K10N750SLI-WiFi

I don't know much about AMD platforms though, so honestly, I would go with worshipme's suggestion...

thanks for the tips guys, im deciding between these....any other opinions before I do? I really appreciate the help!

bump! (1 last day then making decision)

Back
Top Bottom