Whered my 3 gigs go!?

M1ND.G4M3

In Runtime
Ok I have a problem and im stumped None of my virus scanners have picked anything up (but like thats saying much these days) And im missing some gigs of space i should have

when i go to properties for my c drive it says the usual "12 gigs storage, 10 gigs used, 2 gigs remaining" (i cut out the point this point that crap cuz its pretty round off already)
Edit: You mods have a vbulletin board, make use of the filter then. And you made my word an emot which made my sentence look illiterate, could have atleast made it a word like i changed it to

But the problem is.. when I select ALL my folders on my c drive, windows, documents and settings, program files, and the folders i made (in other words a simple ctrl+a) it shows up as 7 gigs used i cant for the life of me figure out where 3 gigs of space have gone, i mean sure a few megabytes, maybe even a few hundred

But 3 gigs!? can anyone help me figure it out? its really starting to piss me off not being able to find it, thats storage I could be using for my music.

Could someone help? Thanks in advance *stands with crossed fingers hoping that the computer forum gods will help him*

Many HD companies like to go by the 1000 MB ( simple mistake or marketing tool) IDK but a true gig is 1024 MB. So some HDs you lose up to 5 to 6 GIGs space cause that 24 adds up over time.

Thats not what im talking about, I think I would know the difference

My hard drive properties (You know that fancy little pie chart) is 12, and I said I rounded the numbers because if my hard drive is 12.07 its pretty much 12 so i made it simpler

Heres a few folders to check.

Delete everything inside of these folder and see if your space comes back.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\History
C:\TEMP
C:\WINDOWS\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\user profile\Cache

Have you tried defragging? That always helps... or am I missing the point?

Back
Top Bottom