Where to start with programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I agree with that, Soulphire. I know in the beginning if I had tried to learn on my own I wouldnt be able to program crap. My first exposure to programming was VB (in college), then I learned some Java on my own. Wasn't too bad that way because of my prior experience with programming concepts in VB.

Now I am currently taking a course in advanced web development which is covering Javascript. That is going well thus far, and later we will cover Ajax some. For me, having the instructor right there, in a well-suited computer lab has made programming so much easier to understand compared to me soloing with just a book.

I know mileage may vary for others though...

Do any of you know if I can take these classes at college with out having to take general studies? I never went to college and I just want to take classes for programming languages.

Chad, you should be able to take whatever classes you want, no matter what college you go to.

However, i'd recommend going to a Community College. There are many advantages to this; 1) Cheaper 2) More likely to get a professor and NOT a TA 3) Smaller classes (sometimes) and more flexible hours.

I'd still recommend Java over C languages. Java would give you the knowledge and ability to create web apps, web games, and regular desktop apps and games. I'm not sure how easily C languages can be converted to web apps/games. Unless you just want to create desktop application games... but Java would prepare you for the largest "array" of job opportunities.

good point.

I took C++ in HS and my gf at the time took Java in college. I saw some of her programming, and it's VERY similar... at least it was to me. It's really just about changing a little bit of the syntax most of the logic and structure looked the same.

large array huh? No pun intended there right? ;)

Well I found a community college that has JAVA classes that already started and will start again this summer. So guess I will need to wait. They are taking names right now for C# classes to see if they get enough people to want to do it. So I will cross my fingers.

Java is the same thing as Java Script right? Sorry just want to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom