where to make a blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

harnar123

Daemon Poster
So I want to get more familiar with html and also want to start a blog. Where would be the best place or any suggestions.

wordpress or get a cheep domain an a years hosting from godaddy an use the install feature to do it.

The hosting service wordpress offers wont alow you to run google adds an the agreement is a little tight in some cases.

you think godaddy would be better then 1and1. I am going to need a lot of space. I want to run a video blog.

Yes godaddy is far better in my eyes, I have had nothing but good service from them an I was sent a email from them the server was going down for maintenance I looked back expecting a hour or so of down time it was back up in 5 min.

The only time i called looking for support was when one of my SQL databases was acting up when the guy found out i was calling from the UK he said ok sir if we are on the phone for more than 5 min we will call you back.

I was VERY impressed by them, cheep, riliable and above all a quality servace.

GoDaddy also offers (a lot) more concurrent MySQL connections than 1and1, something you might care about if running a blog.

I used GoDaddy for a while, but ended up disliking them. My website was always very sluggish, and downloads were terribly slow until wee hours of the morning, and even then I'd be lucky to download at 200KB/s.

I now use Host Gator. I have the "Baby" package, slightly more expensive than the Deluxe that I had at GoDaddy, but much better. I now download over 1MB/s any time of the day, as does other people.

However, GoDaddy still has the cheapest domains I've found. Use "chill3" or "hash3" promo codes to get 7$ domains at GoDaddy. Host Gator's domains are really expensive, like 15$!!...so if I need a new domain I just buy it at GoDaddy then change DNS.

HAK5 gets you a few $ off or 25% depending on the current deal they got going.

I am pretty new to all this. What you guys think I should focus on using for a language. From what I read its all switching to xhtml if I understand it right. And that is the cleanest, and most secure of the formats. Would you guys agree?

I am pretty new to all this. What you guys think I should focus on using for a language. From what I read its all switching to xhtml if I understand it right. And that is the cleanest, and most secure of the formats. Would you guys agree?

As far as security, there is no such thing with HTML. However cleaner and more efficient, yes xhtml and CSS is the way to go.

If you are new to web development it's best to just use a CMS (content management system) such as Word Press (being one of the best). There are tons of open source blog management systems out there, but Word Press is a very popular one with lots of support and plugins and such. All you need to know how to do is make a MySQL database and upload files via FTP.

You can't effectively make a blog with just HTML, you need something to help it like PHP or Perl or whatever.

EDIT:

HAK5 gets you a few $ off or 25% depending on the current deal they got going.

Here's a bunch: Godaddy promo code and coupon list for 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom