Where and How to learn Java and/or C++.

I've learnt HTML, XHTML, XML, CSS, JavaScript and C++ with books from my local library. If you're interested in starting a programming/coding language, I'd say stick with books, as they cover most aspects, and you know what your getting. Whereas, if you use an online tutorials, there is a chance that it could be complete nonsense, as berry120 pointed out.

Also, learning from a book also sped up my learning, I can spend as long as I want reading a book, e.g. at night, before school. Whereas, when using an online tutorial, you can only access it when you have, A) A computer. And B) Internet access. Books tend to be more professional, sometimes the online tutorials can be chucked together in half an hour.

Online tutorials, e.g. as in on a website, can often be hard to read and understand, I used them for a while, but you come across too many adverts in the middle of a paragraph, etc. It can also cause stress on your eyes if you're just looking at the screen for a long time, e.g. reading from the screen.

Note for new members: If you've just started wondering about programming/coding/web design, I suggest you start from a published book, I would recommend the "For Dummies" series. A while ago when I was wondering about programming and how to do it an' stuff, I thought it was impossible, that only incredibly smart people could do it, but it's not like that, if you start form the beginning and work at your own pace, it's pretty simple.

I know this hasn't got much to do with the thread, but if I was starting out, I'd get a good grasp of HTML, then move onto XHTML (which is similar bit different. It stands for Extended Hypertext Markup Language), then move onto CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), JavaScript (nothing like Java, don't be fooled!), then if you are confident move onto Java, then there's plenty more things to learn, including: PHP, MySQL, Perl, XML, etc. C++ and C# are quite complicated languages to learn, despite me learning C++ first off. I would suggest you leave C++ until you've tied up all loose ends and have a good understanding of a few other easy languages first.

Although I wouldn't say that computing languages are easy, but if you get stuck into them, then it's just learning one thing at a time, like at school. A lot of people tend to pick up a book, flick the the middle page and say, "Woah, that looks complicated!" but if you've read the book from the start, and you gradually progress, then it becomes a lot more simple.

I'm off now, anyone needs any help with HTML, XHTML, XML, CSS, JavaScript and/or C++. PM me, as I won't be back on the forums for a while.

I've learnt HTML, XHTML, XML, CSS, JavaScript and C++ with books from my local library. If you're interested in starting a programming/coding language, I'd say stick with books, as they cover most aspects, and you know what your getting. Whereas, if you use an online tutorials, there is a chance that it could be complete nonsense, as berry120 pointed out.

Also, learning from a book also sped up my learning, I can spend as long as I want reading a book, e.g. at night, before school. Whereas, when using an online tutorial, you can only access it when you have, A) A computer. And B) Internet access. Books tend to be more professional, sometimes the online tutorials can be chucked together in half an hour.

Online tutorials, e.g. as in on a website, can often be hard to read and understand, I used them for a while, but you come across too many adverts in the middle of a paragraph, etc. It can also cause stress on your eyes if you're just looking at the screen for a long time, e.g. reading from the screen.

Note for new members: If you've just started wondering about programming/coding/web design, I suggest you start from a published book, I would recommend the "For Dummies" series. A while ago when I was wondering about programming and how to do it an' stuff, I thought it was impossible, that only incredibly smart people could do it, but it's not like that, if you start form the beginning and work at your own pace, it's pretty simple.

I know this hasn't got much to do with the thread, but if I was starting out, I'd get a good grasp of HTML, then move onto XHTML (which is similar bit different. It stands for Extended Hypertext Markup Language), then move onto CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), JavaScript (nothing like Java, don't be fooled!), then if you are confident move onto Java, then there's plenty more things to learn, including: PHP, MySQL, Perl, XML, etc. C++ and C# are quite complicated languages to learn, despite me learning C++ first off. I would suggest you leave C++ until you've tied up all loose ends and have a good understanding of a few other easy languages first.

Although I wouldn't say that computing languages are easy, but if you get stuck into them, then it's just learning one thing at a time, like at school. A lot of people tend to pick up a book, flick the the middle page and say, "Woah, that looks complicated!" but if you've read the book from the start, and you gradually progress, then it becomes a lot more simple.

I'm off now, anyone needs any help with HTML, XHTML, XML, CSS, JavaScript and/or C++. PM me, as I won't be back on the forums for a while.

http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=95186
http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=95182
http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=95146

You've come a long way in 3 months, apparently.

I know this hasn't got much to do with the thread, but if I was starting out, I'd get a good grasp of HTML, then move onto XHTML (which is similar bit different. It stands for Extended Hypertext Markup Language)...
The same but a bit different? It's a newer standard than HTML which is more stringent in its markup - a good thing. It uses XML as its base rather than the antiquated SGML which was designed for a completely different purpose. It's not really a case of learn one and then learn the other... Oh - and it's extensible, not extended ;)

then move onto CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
You should really be learning HTML/XHTML and CSS in parallel if you're interested in the web front. You're going to accomplish very little style wise if you don't (unless you resort to horrible deprecated tags.)

Oh, and none of the above languages are programming languages!

JavaScript (nothing like Java, don't be fooled!), then if you are confident move onto Java
I'd do that completely the other way round. Java will help you get into much better programming practices than Javascript, which is a horrible loosely typed scripting language that can teach you a minefield of bad habits very easily.

then there's plenty more things to learn, including: PHP, MySQL, Perl, XML, etc.
There's always going to be more things to learn. XML though is a structure of storing data, not a programming language (XML is what forms the basis of XHTML, so if you know the basics of how that works you're well on your way to it.)

C++ and C# are quite complicated languages to learn, despite me learning C++ first off. I would suggest you leave C++ until you've tied up all loose ends and have a good understanding of a few other easy languages first.
C# is basically Microsoft's version of Java - not really complicated to learn at all, though there are a heck of a lot more gotchas than Java. Agreed on the bit about leaving C++ until you've got a good grasp of other languages though.

Without meaning to have a go - please be careful when offering advice with things you're not experienced in. Your intentions may be good; but in reality you could just end up confusing someone wanting to start out in programming with said posts. Programming is a skill that takes years and years to home and develop; I for one am still learning after many years of experience with Java. At least state you've just started out so people know where you're coming from in offering advice.

Berry I'm only trying to help, I'm not asking for you to pick my advice to pieces. No offence.
If anyone's advice is flawed then I'll pick it to pieces I'm afraid! It's part and parcel of trying to ensure people using this forum as a resource end up with correct and helpful information. I believe everyone else should also do the same (in a helpful way of course.)

Yes.

Berry I'm only trying to help, I'm not asking for you to pick my advice to pieces. No offence.

If anyone's advice is flawed then I'll pick it to pieces I'm afraid! It's part and parcel of trying to ensure people using this forum as a resource end up with correct and helpful information. I believe everyone else should also do the same (in a helpful way of course.)

I'd have to agree with Berry and Jo3. In 3 months there is no way you know enough about any of those languages just from reading books. I'm in my second year of Java classes at college and There is still much to learn before I would consider myself knowledgeable.

Again to agree with Berry, your intentions were good, but before you try to help someone, check your references and make sure your facts are right.

Back
Top Bottom