What's your thoughts on PIA VPN?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone and Merry Christmas to all!

I just found a good price on Private Internet Access for one years's worth of protection.

I installed it, but when I attempt to surf, no website works.

I just sent their CS an email, requesting help.

Does anyone here have any experience with PIA VPN?

Thank you,

Soar

What did you install exactly? Was it their App or the OpenVPN Framework.

Have you configured the actual client to route threw their servers as in selecting a destination.

Are you using Windows or Nix* Operating System.

Once you get your head around this if you go in too it, I guarantee you will have no problems if you take the time to read up on it etc;

What did you install exactly? Was it their App or the OpenVPN Framework.

Have you configured the actual client to route threw their servers as in selecting a destination.

Are you using Windows or Nix* Operating System.

Once you get your head around this if you go in too it, I guarantee you will have no problems if you take the time to read up on it etc;

Hi Spud!

I downloaded their installer as they recommended.
I am trying it on my Windows 7 Ultimate rig.
Not sure how to configure their client.

I did change my network adapter settings as they suggested as well as some other settings.

Here is what they also asked me to do:

How do I uninstall/reinstall the PIA app on Windows?

November 08, 2016 11:40
Follow
Uninstalling and reinstalling the PIA VPN software can resolve a lot of issues with the VPN. Please use the following instructions to do so.

Note: This must be done on a Windows Administrator user account; the elevated system changes involved in running a VPN requires full administrative privileges to run properly.

Step 1 - Exit the VPN
Right click the PIA VPN App icon and click "Disconnect" (If applicable)
Next, right click the PIA App icon again and Click "Exit"

Step 2 - Uninstall the PIA VPN App from C:\Program Files
Press and hold the "Windows Key" on your keyboard and while holding it press "R" - (WinKey+R)
This will open the "Run" window with the "Open:" field
Type in "C:" and press "OK" or hit the "Enter" key on your keyboard
The Windows File Manager will then open
Double Click "Program Files" - (Note: NOT the one ending with "x86")
Locate the "pia_manager" folder
Right Click the "pia_manager" folder and click "Delete"
Note: DO NOT do this for any other folders or files in the "Program Files" folder.

Step 3 - Uninstall the TAP Adapters

Press and hold the "Windows Key" on your keyboard and while holding it press "R" - (WinKey+R)
Type in "devmgmt.msc" and press "OK" or hit the "Enter" key on your keyboard
The "Device Manager" window should appear
Click on "Network Adapters"
Right click "TAP-Windows Provider V9"
Click "Uninstall"
Check the box for "Delete the driver software for this device"
Click "OK"
Note: If there are any other "TAP" Adapters listed here please uninstall them in the same manner - Ex. "TAP-Win32 Adapter".

Note: If you do not see any "TAP" Adapters listed here please...

Look for "Other Devices" or "Unknown Devices" and click on it if present within the "Device Manager" window
Right click each "Unknown Device" and click "Properties" and check if it is a "TAP" device (If it is uninstall it)

Dang, I am concerned they will ask me to change some setting that totally messes up my entire system.

So far, I am very unhappy with their service...

Finally, they have asked me to create these exceptions in my firewall/antivirus:

Could I please trouble you to please add the following exceptions to any security applications or firewalls you may be running? This will prevent them from impeding the functionality of our application:

C:\Program Files\pia_manager\openVPN.exe
C:\Program Files\pia_manager\pia_manager.exe
C:\Program Files\pia_manager\tapinstall.exe
C:\Program Files\pia_manager\installer_win.exe
C:\Program Files\pia_manager\pia-openvpn.dll
C:\Program files\pia_manager\pia_tray_bin\nw-win\pia_nw.exe
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\tap0901.sys

Last edited:
Hi Spud!

I downloaded their installer as they recommended.
I am trying it on my Windows 7 Ultimate rig.
Not sure how to configure their client.

I did change my network adapter settings as they suggested as well as some other settings.

Here is what they also asked me to do:

How do I uninstall/reinstall the PIA app on Windows?

November 08, 2016 11:40
Follow
Uninstalling and reinstalling the PIA VPN software can resolve a lot of issues with the VPN. Please use the following instructions to do so.

Note: This must be done on a Windows Administrator user account; the elevated system changes involved in running a VPN requires full administrative privileges to run properly.

Step 1 - Exit the VPN
Right click the PIA VPN App icon and click "Disconnect" (If applicable)
Next, right click the PIA App icon again and Click "Exit"

Step 2 - Uninstall the PIA VPN App from C:\Program Files
Type in "C:" and press "OK" or hit the "Enter" key on your keyboard
The Windows File Manager will then open
Double Click "Program Files" - (Note: NOT the one ending with "x86")
Locate the "pia_manager" folder
Right Click the "pia_manager" folder and click "Delete"
Note: DO NOT do this for any other folders or files in the "Program Files" folder.

Step 3 - Uninstall the TAP Adapters

Type in "devmgmt.msc" and press "OK" or hit the "Enter" key on your keyboard
The "Device Manager" window should appear
Click on "Network Adapters"
Right click "TAP-Windows Provider V9"
Click "Uninstall"
Check the box for "Delete the driver software for this device"
Click "OK"
Note: If there are any other "TAP" Adapters listed here please uninstall them in the same manner - Ex. "TAP-Win32 Adapter".

Note: If you do not see any "TAP" Adapters listed here please...

Look for "Other Devices" or "Unknown Devices" and click on it if present within the "Device Manager" window
Right click each "Unknown Device" and click "Properties" and check if it is a "TAP" device (If it is uninstall it)

Dang, I am concerned they will ask me to change some setting that totally messes up my entire system.

So far, I am very unhappy with their service...

Finally, they have asked me to create these exceptions in my firewall/antivirus:

Could I please trouble you to please add the following exceptions to any security applications or firewalls you may be running? This will prevent them from impeding the functionality of our application:

C:\Program Files\pia_manager\openVPN.exe
C:\Program Files\pia_manager\pia_manager.exe
C:\Program Files\pia_manager\tapinstall.exe
C:\Program Files\pia_manager\installer_win.exe
C:\Program Files\pia_manager\pia-openvpn.dll
C:\Program files\pia_manager\pia_tray_bin\nw-win\pia_nw.exe
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\tap0901.sys

Did you create the exceptions in you anti virus \ firewall . Did you uninstall all TAP Devices and finally have you had any further correspondence from them.

Used PIA for 2 years, very few issues. A small handful of times i've got bad speed on one of their servers, but switching to one of the others available resolved it. I stream 1080P sports from USA and it works perfectly.

Used PIA for 2 years, very few issues. A small handful of times i've got bad speed on one of their servers, but switching to one of the others available resolved it. I stream 1080P sports from USA and it works perfectly.

Same here
Been using it for a little over here, no issues.
I get a slow connection sometimes, but then you can just switch to another city.

I use CyberStorm myself. No problems thus far a few months in. I don't run it 24/7 but rather on an as needed basis.

I've been using them for a few years. Never had an issue. Download speeds are excellent. Use them on my personal phone, iPad, laptop, and a few servers at home.

I'm not sure if the original poster has seen the reply on this thread but I'll post a bit more to what I said as I've had a terrible time over the holidays and have had my system shut down.

Its my understanding that you would have to uninstall all TAP Devices any how on a windows based system as this is essentially a different thing from creating a tunnel as to what PIA will do when using the OpenVPN Software.

What I'm saying is the TAP Device is a software layer hardware emulated device that will bridge connections so this needs to be rid of. Also creating the exceptions in you firewall will obviously help but I dont understand why you are not happy with their service.

Have you had any further contact with PIA.

I'll try to help you abit more and explain that a tunnel (TUN) and a (TAP) called a network TAP are very deferent because a TUN will route your DATA over the various networks involved in your domestic line and your Internet connection. This includes the likes of Sub Nets and your ISP Servers but NOT the open Internet.

Also what version of Windows are you using. 7 or 8 . I've just checked Google and these are the most up to date OS's that support TAP and TUNnel protocoling.

Can the OP please reply. I would not mind trying to figure this out.

Back
Top Bottom