What's the latest on GPUs?

You're going to get way more for your dollar with that Phenom II. Intel boards aren't anymore stable or better than AMD ones. You'll end up spending a bit more too. Dual cores are beginning to get obsolete. It really doesn't make sense to get a high end dual core now when the prices for quads are already so low.

Rohan, I put up a Q8200 with a GB board. As always, what I go on is preference and experience. Normally, from what I've seen, Intel puts out better frames, for more dollar. Most Intel CPU's run cooler, too. My old 2400xp @ 2.0 runs 53C idle. while my Q9550 @ 2.75 runs no more than 38 FL. Grant it, the temperature difference is mostly because of architecture. Intel is and practically always has been more expensive and I won't argue that they are the most bang for the buck either. But when you demand performance at any price it takes, Intel is the way to go.

Rohan, I put up a Q8200 with a GB board. As always, what I go on is preference and experience. Normally, from what I've seen, Intel puts out better frames, for more dollar. Most Intel CPU's run cooler, too. My old 2400xp @ 2.0 runs 53C idle. while my Q9550 @ 2.75 runs no more than 38 FL. Grant it, the temperature difference is mostly because of architecture. Intel is and practically always has been more expensive and I won't argue that they are the most bang for the buck either. But when you demand performance at any price it takes, Intel is the way to go.

Actually, AMD has the title over Intel for gaming.

AMD makes chips that have as many cores as Intel. However, hardly anything can compare to the new I7. Unfortunately, you can only build an Intel I7 for a little over a thousand. (1100) for the bare minimums. about 1,600 for a respectable I7 setup.

@ Rohan - The processor (as you know) isn't the do-all say-all for gaming. Some games are coded for AMD and some for Intel. The majority of games being released now are utilizing Intel's Instruction sets. Crysis is a big one, UT3 as well. Same thing for graphics cards. Some perform better just because the game was "coded" around their GPU's.

ah wow pc n00b you really want to pay $870 for a dual core set up? You can get a amd quad core build (phenomII) for the same price perhaps lower. And with the money you save you can get a Core 216 gpu

Also Have you ever built a comp before pcnoob?

ah wow pc n00b you really want to pay $870 for a dual core set up? You can get a amd quad core build (phenomII) for the same price perhaps lower. And with the money you save you can get a Core 216 gpu

Also Have you ever built a comp before pcnoob?

Quad core is too expensive for my budget so I need to stick to that wolfdale but I'm not sure if there's an intermediary between a dual core like the E8400 and the next best thing which like I said is too expensive. and I do want to stick with intel and below $200.

I'm not entirely sure that 260 core 216 is worth it with that processor... could it be bottlenecked?

I'm second guessing the new monitor but in its place what should I get?

OH and I have built a computer before but that was back in 2004 i think. it had a 7600GT, a 2400 AMD, and a 250 gig HD among other things

Phenom II 940

Gigabyte 790gx

You really cant afford this amd quad core build? ^^

And that monitor is badass, nice choice :D

wow that is good. i think ill switch it

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=6788709

ok here's a better build

the only thing is do you think that case is large enough and cool enough?

it has the above processor and a EVGA 260 core 216 and this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387

everything else is the same

Back
Top Bottom