What's the difference between the FX-57 and the 154?

alvino said:
I'm not talking about THOSE links.

The Opteron series consists of:
-Opteron 1xx
-Opteron 2xx
-Opteron 8xx

Each chip has a three-digit model number, in the form "Opteron xyy". The first digit (the x) specifies the maximum number of CPUs on the target machine:

* 1 - Designed for uniprocessor systems
* 2 - Designed for dual-processor systems
* 8 - Designed for systems with 4 or 8 processors

The last two digits in the model number (the yy) give an indication of the speed of the CPU. Values of yy numbered 60 or higher indicate dual-core models.

That's what I meant, not your incoherent links or whatnot.

Huh? But you just said, "
The Opteron 1xx's only have one link, so you can only have one of those on a motherboard. The Opteron 2xx's are able to link with two Opteron's max, reguardless if it's single or dual-core. Then there's the uber awesome Opteron 8xx's that can link up to EIGHT Opteron's on a single motherboard, and they can all be dual-core too."

Which links were you talking about? :p

Never mind. I wasn't talking about that. I meant that the Opteron 1xx is one way, while the Opteron 2xx's are two way processors, etc etc etc.

prosser13 said:
Wait - I'm not sure whether it is coherent or incoherent now. That link was too confusing and I'm tired :(

It's alright :p

You were thinking of corherent links which are links to CPU to CPU. Incorherent links refer to HTT links to the south bridge or other MB devices.

However, you were right about the FX-57. It is faster

Go fx-57. i'll own your operton. WOOOOOOO. i game too much for an operton anyway, although they are decent for that. Im considering upgrading to a dual core operton, or 2 opertons. Either that or phase change cooling. They are about the same price.

Opterons are just well known for their overclockability. Oh and number crunching. :D

Ya im still considering it, but i think phase change cooling would be more usful in the end. I could get some serious numbers out of my machine, but id probably need like a lian lian case or server case....:(

Back
Top Bottom