What's the benefit of greater L2 cache?

Ð88

Fully Optimized
I'm just curious to know how much of an increase in performance you get from a processor that has a higher L2 cache memory as compared to one of the same specs but with a lower L2 cache. Take for instance the Core 2 duo E6300 and the E6600 processors. One has an L2 cache of 2MB and the other an L2 cache of 4MB. Does this provide a lot of gains to have more?

oh and i think what's most important that i want to get from this is whether or not, if i were to choose between the E6300 and the E6600 which have a considerable price difference, is it still worth the extra cash to opt for the E6600?

yes the extra cash is deff worth is for the e600 that cpu is an over clocking beast
and the l2 catch i forget but it has somthing to do with prossesoring more instructions al the same time

Ð88 said:
I'm just curious to know how much of an increase in performance you get from a processor that has a higher L2 cache memory as compared to one of the same specs but with a lower L2 cache. Take for instance the Core 2 duo E6300 and the E6600 processors. One has an L2 cache of 2MB and the other an L2 cache of 4MB. Does this provide a lot of gains to have more?

oh and i think what's most important that i want to get from this is whether or not, if i were to choose between the E6300 and the E6600 which have a considerable price difference, is it still worth the extra cash to opt for the E6600?

Most benchmarks have shown a 5% - 7% increase in performance with the extra 2MB of cache on the E6600

Same with AMD.

esa193 said:
and the l2 catch i forget but it has somthing to do with prossesoring more instructions al the same time

Thats not Correct, cache stores data so the CPU can access it faster.

I believe the more cache a processor has the faster it can get things in and out of the processor therefore making it able to handle more at once. I could be wrong but I think that's how it works.

Back
Top Bottom