What's taking up all my hard drive space?

swamp_rattler

Baseband Member
Hello all,

I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to computers...

Here's my problem. I have a Dell 9300 Laptop. My Local Disk (C:) has a capacity of 88.4 GB, but I only have 1.62GB free! I do have about 10 GB of digital photos (I do a lot of photography) and music (only 30 songs...240MB). Where's the rest of my GB going? I don't have many programs installed.

Is there any way I can look at the distribution of my GBs?

Also, and perhaps importantly, I completely restored my operating system about a year ago due to a nasty virus. Is there a chance that I created a new operating system (or whatever) and saved the old one, too? How can I delete the old infected version? I do vaguely remember looking at my free space after reinstalling and there wasn't much free space...most used up. I wish I would've paid more attention now...

Thanks for any help, fellas.

--Jared

around 7gb is taken up from Windows but I don't think it's that. Enable your ability to see hidden files by going to;

My Computer--->Tools--->Folder Options--->View

and then check "Show hidden files and folders."
Then click accept and ok then go to your drive and right click all the folders one by one and click on properties..then you'll see how big the files are in each folder and so on...
Good luck! ;)
Hope this helped!
-Stratos =]

What windows are you using?
When you boot up, does it come to a screen asking you to select which OS yo want to boot to? Or just it just boot directly?

Also, go into Disk Management. That will show you all of your partitions on that harddrive. If there is more than 1. You probably didnt reformat it right.

Back
Top Bottom