Whats happening with the Forums.

I was under the impression this was already done or tried and nothing came of it.

No. When the forum changed hands the idea was to merge TF with ComputerForums. The name change to Techist was a part of this plan. The team working on merging the databases ran into problems... and that was the last ever seriously said about the whole thing. I would love to get an update on the situation from the owners and/or their management team, and I know Janet checks in quite often even if she doesn't post.

I just don't want another ToV fiasco.

Didn't know there was a ToV fiasco... Just thought the project died off...

Anyways, making a rip of a site isn't hard, it's the whole backend where user account information is stored that can't be ripped, that would be a very difficult thing to copy over properly for regulars, if it could even be done...

All of that aside, I can't actually find ANY copywrite clause in the TOS saying that we can't jack what has been said here... The closest thing is that each individual person either owns, or has permission to share what they post on this website, thus negating any copywrite the site owners have of any information here aside from the obvious things... Such as the forum logo, name, color scheme and so on.

We also don't comply with GDPR, which could be a serious issue as this website does load advertisements...

techist-forums.net and techist-forums.com are both free..
With all the TLD's available now... There are plenty of TechForum names out there, and I am not sure if one could legitly copywrite the name tech forum or techforum as it's a common name.

---

Either case, the site owners need to pop up, make a statement about plans going forward as to what they actually plan to do with this community. Are they going to try to revive it? Sell it? If sell, how much? How would they revive it?

Those are questions that are bugging me, and honestly, part of the reason I don't come here often is work + lack of anything happening here.

Last edited:
I mean, I bought tech-forums.org a few days ago. Hosting might get a bit expensive depending on traffic, though I think my home connection or a cheap VPS can handle the traffic this site sees. Once I get some free time I'll go about getting it set up and see what I can do about importing things.

Let me know the cost of things overall... A donation based system could potentially be setup if this community ends up having to be abandonded... I could throw $50 or $100 in every now and then depending on bills.

How I wish someone here had gigabit net and could host lol.

Let me know the cost of things overall... A donation based system could potentially be setup if this community ends up having to be abandonded... I could throw $50 or $100 in every now and then depending on bills.

How I wish someone here had gigabit net and could host lol.

1+

Lets me know what you need to host and I can see if I can spin it up and the costs (If it aint to much I may be able to cover it)

Click the ? icon next to the price.

"This is the asking price set by the owner. If you choose, you can make an offer which will be binding for 7 days. Please keep in mind that the process may last 5-10 days and neither party is required to stand by offers beyond 7 days."

IDK why this is my first post but...

I'm completely new here and this is the first thing I see, haven't understood the drama. From what I can tell though it is a case of 'admins tried something, then neglected it after said idea failed only caring about the site from a technical standpoint' (i.e. what happened to another community I was a part of in the past which I joined just around the time of its way out).

All I can say is, if anything, if nothing is going to be done about anything related to either forum, you have every right to create a reformed community. Perhaps restructuring etc. - if you're looking for a forum software to use for such a project, phpBB 3.2 or ElkArte are both pretty nice (the former improved a ton but lost share in the end, it's almost the IE of forum software, in that its current iterations are good but no one cares about that fact), and ElkArte is a spin off of the SMF project which is pretty much dead. One thing though, if this was to happen I would advise just treating it as a hobby until you see any potential in it, the people saying it should be a business etc. are kinda jumping the gun in a sense...

Best wishes, though, I suppose, whatever way this discussion goes...

Back
Top Bottom