Whats happening with the Forums.

Is this actually a serious topic of conversation starting a new site?

Cant imagine the owners will be happy with that especially ripping the db if I read that correctly above.

I mean, the site owners aren't active.
And tbh I probably wouldn't rip out the database, we don't (at least I don't) have that kind of access.
But hey, if everyone wants to see something happen I have the means to do so.

The only way this is going to go ahead is if someone hands over the coin and in a nut shell that's the money to do this from what I can tell out their bank account on an online payment using something like a debit card .

This is a business venture what should be treated as such. Setting this up will require money time knowledge and overall investment.

EDIT: Also if this was to be a joint venture with people on this board then decisions need to be made and people need to start talking either on the boards or the PMs.

Another thing as well, being a tech forum you they or us will need knowledgeable people such as the existing Moderators and people from a technical background to.

In order to advertise that also costs money.

Also .net and .org of techist-forums and other domain extensions in order to protect the brand could run in too thousands of pounds or dollars . such as .tech, .co.uk or even .info and .co .

IMO essentially you are talking about setting up a business and again IMO being just my opinion the name of the site and essentially business would have to be decided on what is a major factor in all this ..

Last edited:
I don't think it'll cost thousands.
First we will need to find out how many peeps are willing to invest into this venture, and an estimate of total costs to be divided up. We will also need to elect an Admin (somebody that knows something about creating and running an on line forum) and trust that Admin to make the decisions to add Mods, create a TOS and other types of rules and such.
Any Admin volunteers out there?

I don't think it'll cost thousands.
First we will need to find out how many peeps are willing to invest into this venture, and an estimate of total costs to be divided up. We will also need to elect an Admin (somebody that knows something about creating and running an on line forum) and trust that Admin to make the decisions to add Mods, create a TOS and other types of rules and such.
Any Admin volunteers out there?

I'd happy to donate into this project if it goes ahead.. wont cost much to get it off the ground.

I can help on Infrastructure/ Security point of view if needed, I worked in IT Infrastructure and now Cyber Security.

We can move discussions into Slack if needed?

Instead of trying to strike out with a different site altogether why not try to talk with the current site owner(s) and see if a way forward can be found? We have had a splinter site or two in the past but each one has died off, usually sooner rather than later. And, honestly, I do not want to have to fight another ****storm like what came about because of the last time this happened.

I realize that we were all sold a "pig in a poke"* when TF changed hands and no one has been happy about how things were done and/or not done. But I would rather see the effort made to improve Techist instead of being spent elsewhere and then dying out.

[* - A "pig in a poke" is a Southern idiom. A "poke" is another word for a sack, so a pig in a poke is a pig in a sack. It basically means you are "buying" a sack that you have been told has a pig/piglet in it, but you are getting it sight unseen. Usually the phrase is used to describe a something that is highly unlikely to come to pass or is too good to be true, or as is this case something where you were promised one thing but got a lot less or nothing at all.]

Instead of trying to strike out with a different site altogether why not try to talk with the current site owner(s) and see if a way forward can be found? We have had a splinter site or two in the past but each one has died off, usually sooner rather than later. And, honestly, I do not want to have to fight another ****storm like what came about because of the last time this happened.

I realize that we were all sold a "pig in a poke"* when TF changed hands and no one has been happy about how things were done and/or not done. But I would rather see the effort made to improve Techist instead of being spent elsewhere and then dying out.

[* - A "pig in a poke" is a Southern idiom. A "poke" is another word for a sack, so a pig in a poke is a pig in a sack. It basically means you are "buying" a sack that you have been told has a pig/piglet in it, but you are getting it sight unseen. Usually the phrase is used to describe a something that is highly unlikely to come to pass or is too good to be true, or as is this case something where you were promised one thing but got a lot less or nothing at all.]
I was under the impression this was already done or tried and nothing came of it.

Back
Top Bottom