What's Better for Animation PC or Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apples attitude to security is woeful, as Zmatt has said Apple rely on security through obscurity A buffer overflow exploit took 6 months to patch while BSD (The Unix variant OSX is based on) that had a similar exploit had them patched in days or a month tops.

They are also very picky when it comes to multi booting OSX likes you to have OSX on the HFS+ file system and when you use boot camp on the newer Intel based macs it partitions the drive into a FAT32 file system that you have to format into NTFS if you want to stick vista on there and that act in it's self can cause problems with bootcamp. As for other unix OS support forget it! people have had sporadic luck at best getting Linux on a macbook even other forms of BSD are a nightmare.

Before any one who dosent know me calls me a anti mac fanboy I have owned macbook and currently have a iMac, both have been reacuring pains in the nutsack.

My vote goes for a Dual boot of Windows Vista and Debian.

It is prity much universal macs are not much different than other computers, when they where running power PC processors that was a difference that most people didn't care about. What you pay over the odds for is a shiny design and a OS that is quite honestly right for the picking when you want to find exploits.

You are better off building a new system and installing Windows or a open variation of unix on there like Linux or BSD. As mac's have little or nothing to recommend them as unique or justifying the price tag.

It is prity much universal macs are not much different than other computers, when they where running power PC processors that was a difference that most people didn't care about. What you pay over the odds for is a shiny design and a OS that is quite honestly right for the picking when you want to find exploits.

You are better off building a new system and installing Windows or a open variation of unix on there like Linux or BSD. As mac's have little or nothing to recommend them as unique or justifying the price tag.

So by my understanding Mac's use to be the thing for media but in recent years (like 5 or so) Adobe, Toob Boom, Maya, and others have upped their support for Windows so as of now people use Mac for those programs just because of its title riding on itself and as of now there is no purpose?

Also should I try Linux on a new cheap laptop since I'll just be taking notes and stuff with it?

Yes give linux a try I am known as the open source guy on TF, but I recently moved over to windows (curse you mak)

And Adobe an the others have always had versions of there programs to run on Windows OS's apple just made more noise as they tried to gear themselves towards the "creative" market, they work on the 7 down 93 to go market stratagem by clever marketing and using iTunes and the iPod as a apple delivery methods. Ever wondered why they include the apple logo stickers with there iPods? and why they often show up on family computers?

There title as king of media is not somthing they can honestly hang onto any more but they like to push it as once earned they don't like to drop it from the marketing stratady.

Yes give linux a try I am known as the open source guy on tech forums, but I recently moved over to windows (curse you mak)

And Adobe an the others have always had versions of there programs to run on Windows OS's apple just made more noise as they tried to gear themselves towards the "creative" market, they work on the 7 down 93 to go market stratagem by clever marketing and using iTunes and the iPod as a apple delivery methods. Ever wondered why they include the apple logo stickers with there iPods? and why they often show up on family computers?

There title as king of media is not somthing they can honestly hang onto any more but they like to push it as once earned they don't like to drop it from the marketing stratady.

"7 down to 93"?

Also is Linux difficult to use? I'm not big on coding but I like downloading things like mods and performance enhancement tools.

It's a apple internal gag about there market shair 7% is what they are supposed to have but I work on and service many computers a week and I have only encountered 3 in the wild including the macbook i sold.

No it's not don't take that as it's as easy as windows but it has come on leeps and bounds in the last few years but you will have to resort to the terminal to install some software and do so tasks that can be ocomplished via the GUI in windows.

I hardly ever use the terminal when I'm in Ubuntu, saxon :p. For installations, I either use the Add/Remove Programs or just go straight to the package manager. IMO, I've learned more by messing in the package manager and learning what needs what than just going to Terminal and typing in sudo <command> heh.

BTW, Gunraidan: 'sudo' in the Terminal (think of Windows command prompt on steroids) is basically like Vista's 'Run as Admin' in the right click menu.

Linux support for somethings is dodgy. Wifi is one of them. If you are making a desktop that isn't a big deal though. My biggest beef with linux is the lack of documentation and support. My second biggest beef is the liberal application of the command line. Mac OS and Windows have reduced the command line to something only we geeks use when some serious shiz has gone down. On linux, its the order of the day. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and figuring a lot of stuff out for yourself then linux is perfect for you.

As for Mac OS, the onyl reason a field a powerbook as my front line laptop is because the laptop is well made, not because of the OS it runs. The old powerbooks have a level of craftsmanship that the new ones lack. I think this is due to Apple switching from Asus to some random company to make them. In my experience OSX is pretty underwhelming. Apple's productivity software doesn't hold a grain to MS office, and like every else has said, nowadays there isn't much that separates the average mac from the average pc except fro that Apple sticker.

Carnagex I'm still wondering if dual booting harms my PC performance?

Also what do you mean get my hands dirty with linux zmatt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom